A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Tourism as we know it...

You may remember my post about the interview for membership of our local Tourism Board (Area Tourism Partnership)...

Well, guess what? I have been accepted!


This is it...

Tourism, as you all know it is dead! I am going to turn it upside down!

I'm thinking about suggesting some giant patio heaters to cover the whole of Tees Valley.

Within a few months this stretch of the North Sea will turn totally tropical.

Palm trees, Bougainvillea and Cacti will be planted along the coast.

I will ask my friends in Algeria to send me 200 hundred Camels...

Why, Cream? You haven't started smoking again, have you?
No, I haven't, man... It's real camels that I need...
Beau Geste stuff and all that Saharan Jazz!

The next stage will be the building of a Disney-style park on the outskirts of Middlesbrough where local delicacies will be on offer to American tourists...
Whelk burgers and fries, Giant fish and chips and Yorkshire Puddings filled with T-bone steak and maple syrup, etc...
Have a nice day, chuck!

Andy Capp will be our local mascot and mother-law jokes will be included in the Charter...

Now, I would like my Blogging friends to come up with SUGGESTIONS that I can put to our Chairman next week...

Don't be shy, now! Anything will be considered except a DOME ...
(Trac, you can keep yours!)




Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Cream said...

Trac, you're not gonna believe this! I have a life size card board cutout of the King at one of our restaurants. I shall take a photo of it!
Thanks about the job!

10/6/06 12:36 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

The King has lived up there for the last 3 years!
I got him and Marilyn Monroe (She lives on another balcony) from a shop in Edinburgh...
Can you imagine carrying them along Princes St!
Wolf whistles and people stopping me to ask where I got them from!

10/6/06 5:05 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

No dome, eh? How about a good pyramid? Nobody's building those anymore...

10/6/06 7:28 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Yes, how did you manage to keep quiet about the Giant Elvis?

Geordie/English bilingual signs would give the place a real sense of regional identity, just like Wales really. Mind you, it doesn't really work for Wales, does it, no-one wants to go there.

10/6/06 7:59 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Viking, What a great idea!
I'll see if I can sell the pyramid theme to my Chairman!

Kitty, I honestly forgot that I had a cardboard cut of Elvis until Trac mentioned it!
Bloody good idea, the signs but if they haven't worked for Wales, I have a feeling they won't work for the Tees Valley especially that Middlesbrough people can't stand being called Geordies!

Christine, I am delighted to put a smile on your face!
Thanks, Penny!

10/6/06 10:24 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Can't they? Oh dear! I'm sure I've upset lots of people in my time then!!

11/6/06 10:22 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Can't wait for global warming eh?

11/6/06 12:56 PM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I like the camel angle. That way every day can be hump-day.
Get out your Foreign Legionaire costume and have a Humphrey Bogart cut-out beside the piano.
Play it again Sam burgers with a hill of beans as a side plate..

11/6/06 3:03 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Well, Kitty, it's definitely true! But don't worry! You being Swiss-French-Russian will be forgiven!

Caro, living in hope!

H.E. Humping Bogart couldn't stand still for as long as Elvis!

11/6/06 7:06 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Congratulations cream! I am sure tourism will be never be the same w/your creative mind.

11/6/06 8:46 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

It's true she likes her typography! you have to watch your p's and q's with Trac around! What about a huge Poo tit bum bum?

11/6/06 10:53 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Sorry I couldn't offer anything more construtive!

11/6/06 10:54 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thanks, Mary! I just hope I can contribute a little bit.

Tat, a huge PTB might end up resembling a Dome and we really aren't into Domes...

Trac, I will mind my PTB's when you tell me why I didn't get a chocolate like Wendz!

12/6/06 11:44 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

not allowing comments on your new post?.....

or is it just Blogger again?

12/6/06 6:58 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

KG, that's the problem with languages! You think you've learnt one and then you forget about all the local accents!

Wendz, I am certain you are!

Lettuce, my own doing because the new post is just a continuation of this one! For once, Blogger is not guilty!

12/6/06 7:22 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Congrats, Cream! I'm sure you will come up with more than a few ingenious ideas!

12/6/06 10:47 PM  
Blogger hobbes said...

whohoo! I know where I'll be spending my next vacation then..!
:-)

13/6/06 1:01 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Guess what...On the mint chocolates we give out, it says "A mint of a restaurant!"
Must've been pissed when I thought of it...
I thought the ending might be a bit too gory but I'm glad you like it...
And Scary Fairy scares me, too!:o)

Thanks, Janet... I hope I can!

Hobbes, there's nothing like your part of the Caribbean, I can assure you!

13/6/06 9:54 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

That is - no was - a very strange and not very mouse-like mouse.

13/6/06 1:36 PM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

You already have llamas on Roseberry Topping. I didn't think things could get better than that.

I'd best get myself back up there before this hidden gem becomes internationally famous and full of tourists

17/6/06 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home