A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Accidental Tourist...

This morning I put on my other suit (not the one with the torn jacket, that ended up in the bin!) and headed for the local airport!

I wasn't flying anywhere...
I attended an interview at the neighbouring hotel!
Can you believe it! The first formal interview I have ever had in my life!

My first job at 26: Kitchen-Porter...
In the early eighties, after two years studying mind-numbing Naval Architecture, I walked into a Pizzeria in Newcastle...

The Boss "interviewed" me. standing at the bar.
I bluffed: "Well, I can cook a little!"
He replied: "I need someone for the washing-up! "
I asked: "When can I start?"
He gave me an apron and said: "There's the sink!"

Just like that! Honestly true story!

...But this morning's was another kind of interview.

Our town council tourism department suggested that I should apply for the post of member in the yet to be formed Tees Valley Tourism Board.
Being part of the local business community I have a vested interest in what goes on around me.

I filled an application and emphasized my knowledge of foreign languages... I could be a tour guide, if all fails...

I got there half an hour early.
So I sat in the car listening to France Inter...watching jet planes take off...dreaming of leaving on one of them...

The interview was formal with the chairman of the board and three other regional tourism officials.

"So, please tell us what you think the board's work will entail."

What the hell do I know?

All I know is:
-train people well,
-provide adequate means to show off the local product,
-give them a region to be proud of,
-make them understand that tourism, however abstract the concept may be, will secure the future of the area...
Etc...

Really all the bullshit I dish out day in, day out...

How did the interview go? I have a feeling that I scored well...
But then I have always been an optimist...

"You'll hear of our decision in the next few days...."

"What do you mean? I don't start right now??"

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ohoh are we loosing out tuch a bit..???

haha kidding- they just dont want to embarass themselves offering u the job imediately

2/6/06 12:59 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Ale is right...they have to play it cool. It's in the bag!

2/6/06 1:07 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

How exciting Cream! I'm keeping everything crossed for you...

2/6/06 1:39 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thank you, ladies...It's an unpaid appointment so I am not that worried about not getting it...

It would be fun though because I've always fancied myself as an accidental tourist...

2/6/06 5:01 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Yes, I've got everything crossed for you but it's making getting about the house a bit tricky.

Mind you, it won't do your standing in the local community any good when Trading Standards come after you for misleading labelling of goods (well perhaps not goods) but I am definitely not YOUNG and calling me a LADY might be stretching the truth a little too!!

Time for my first glass of wine of the day, I think.

2/6/06 5:17 PM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Why Ai? Cream for President! Viva La Creme x

2/6/06 9:51 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Kitty, thanks for the crossed members...
I am very good at Standards...You're only fishing for compliments, my wee Lassie!
I see the weekend has started again, eh! Enjoy!

KG, the buggers have already arrived! That's why property prices have shot up!

Cherrybabe! Muchas Gracias beaucoup! Yep, La Crème de la crème of outside catering!!!

2/6/06 11:07 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I wouldn't be too worried about a few days' wait. I'd be more worried if they handed you an apron and said there's the sink! ;)

3/6/06 1:27 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Viking, mate! You are hilarious!
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
I appreciate your support!

3/6/06 1:32 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Sounds like they wanted you to make the job up on the spot...

And if you what you dishout really is bullshit its a good job your employ regular chefs...

I went to a pub yesterday and had ham, egg mayo and chips - it came with 5 chips - 5 chips stacked very prettily - 5 thick chips - but ONLY 5 chips...

3/6/06 8:09 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Unfortunate figure of speech, Caro!
I know the kind of chips you are on about! Chefs think they look cool and that we really like them... Gis a bag of crisps, please!

Wendz, blue marigolds s'il te plaît.. Actuallty, if I were still in the dishwash business, there'd only be one dish I'd want to wash!

3/6/06 11:27 AM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Fishing is another one of my "I have never"s. As if I would fish for compliments, Cream? How could you suggest such a thing.

Hope you are getting some lovely sunshine up in the NE too.

3/6/06 5:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Theres the sink..." heard that before- in the Robin Hood near Albermarle barracks.

Seasoned dishwasher. CR

3/6/06 5:25 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Absolutely NOWT wrong at all with YOUS Southerners...Yee just think yee aan the world, yee kna!
Glad you're back online, Trac...Can't wait for my prize...

Kitty, I thought cats liked fish!
The weather is amazing! I shall be enjoying a Mojito on Casa's terrace later on!
How was your bike ride?

CR, I bet you enjoyed your potato peeling duty, too!:o)

3/6/06 5:37 PM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

My Word!
Were they checking out your Playboy 53 image on their Gmail during the interview?

5/6/06 6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home