A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Elle est à toi, cette chanson...

Many moons ago, I wrote a post about Jacques Brel. I really liked his amazing songs.

Last night I was looking for song lyrics when I discovered Georges Brassens' site
I don't know how many of my blogging friends have heard of this great, sadly departed French poet-singer who wrote nearly 200 songs, many of which are still found in French village jukeboxes or played at country fetes.

I grew up listening to him, dreaming of his poems and trying to sing some of his songs at University get-togethers. "Chanson pour l'Auvergnat" was my favourite.

In August 1996, my niece, Myriam got married in Auvergne. She now lives near the Swiss border.

The French wedding was so different from the British version!
The Savoyard groom's family and friends rang giant cow bells as the couple entered la Mairie.
The evening do took place at a village sports hall, began at 8pm and finished at 5am with Soupe à l'oignon! (Onion soup!)

The food was delicious, the wedding cake (pièce montée), alpine and the Champagne fountain, torrential...
And then a karaoke!

The song catalogue was passed around the room. My eyes caught sight of "Chanson pour l'Auvergnat!"
I was dying to get up and sing it. My sister-in-law kept saying: "Allons-y! Je chanterai avec toi!" (Come on, I'll sing with you!)

I, Cream the wimp, chickened out! Yes, bird flu nailed my beak to the table!

Every time I hear this beautiful song, I get a whiff of wedding cake! Arghhhh!

Nowadays, apart from karaoke, I don't often let things pass me by!
After all, who wants to miss out on such daft chapters out of one's book of life?

7 Comments:

Blogger Cream said...

I don't know much about current French music but Brel, Ferre, Brassens, Ferrat, Reggiani...I really love. They're poet-singers as opposed to Johnny Halliday! I cannot imagine you with a squawking voice.

12/4/06 12:18 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

You're so right Cream...life is just for living...live and sing and do!

12/4/06 3:38 PM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

If you're up to your neck in hot water
Be like the kettle and SING!

I'm sure you'd have done him justice, Cream x

12/4/06 7:29 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Cherry, the next time Brassens comes up in a Karaoke, I will stand up and be counted! Whether I do him justice or not, what the hell, I'll have my minute of fame!

Gigi, life isn't always singing and dancing but by god, I shall die trying to prove otherwise!

Wendy, I like Cabrel too! You'll have to get on your webcam and create a Podcast!

12/4/06 9:16 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I know, but wouldn't it be great if we can sing and dance while we work? Remember that song, "just whistle while you work...?"

I think it helps when life dishes out some hard knocks [I've had a few of those]...it helps in the recovery process. I hope.

12/4/06 10:31 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! to Brel. When I was a young budding pianist (who stopped budding before blooming, I should add) I plated piano for a 4 or 5 night run of Jacque Brel is alive and well....in English, of course. Now that you've recommended him, I'm off to see if I can't find some more Massen on the web.

You just made me wish I knew French, for the very first time, cream.

13/4/06 2:00 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Gigi, hard knocks indeed make people stronger. I think I've had an easy ride so far!

WW, I envy people who can play a musical instrument! There is nothing like the joy that live music brings to gatherings!
I saw Micheline Van Hautem sings Brel last summer at the Edinburgh Festival. She was amazing!

13/4/06 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home