A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Monday, December 31, 2007

The Power of Wishes...



















I think I have become an optimistic pessimist...
If I had a choice I'd opt for my head in the mist.

I am not a pessimist really but what is actually happening around the Globe doesn't give room for optimism.

My country of birth, Algeria has not seen much peace for the last half century and it seems that there are those who promise many more deadly waves of suicide-bombers to this beautiful corner of the Mediterranean.

Benazir Bhutto, whatever her agenda, hidden or otherwise, is another victim of terrorism, state-sponsore or otherwise.

Kenya's rigged elections have sparked deadly riots in this hitherto most peaceful corner of Africa.

In numerous other parts of this world of ours countless ordinary people are born and die without have tasted a peaceful day. Afghanistan, Irak, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, Colombia, Chechnia, Nepal, the Middle East, etc...

I am writing this on New Year's Eve between the early service and the late one.

We have just fed, watered and entertained over 80 people. The staff are resetting the tables for just as many customers again.
The only thought on the minds of these diners is to have a great time surrounded by their family and friends to the sound of children's laughter.

I just wish that each and everyone around the world could be freed from strife to enjoy their life with their nearest and dearest in total peace and security.

Am I asking for too much?
Couldn't the power of wishes make a real difference?








...

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Happy New Year to you, Cream (wish I knew your *real* name) and it just occurred to me that an evening at one of your restaurants would be a great way to spend what is something of a melancholy New Year's Eve for me, too. All the best in 2008. xo

31/12/07 9:41 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

I'll join you in your wishes.

and I'm wishing you A HAPPY NEW YEAR and everything that's good x

1/1/08 11:00 AM  
Blogger Hayden said...

sometimes I console myself by studying history, which is mostly written as a history of wars. Perhaps that says something right there.

so many wars. always some corner of the world in flames. there MUST be a way to stop the madness, but --- How?

my best wishes to you, Cream, for a wonderful, peace-and-love-filled 2008.

hope that last seating went by without a hitch!

1/1/08 3:34 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Happy New Year to you, Andrea.
Chin up, girl!

Akela, hope 2008 is perfect for you.

Best wishes to you too, Hayden.
Yes, it went off great.
Good party at the Tapas Bar then bed by 4am...

1/1/08 7:36 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I dunno, Cream, I'm not cynical, I'm not a pessimist but I know it will take more than wishful thinking.

In high school we used to sing a song, 'let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me...' I think a lot of folks would have to let go of their baggages, agendas, hate, fear, all their negatives, if peace is to begin with them.

Anway Cream, I wish you and family peace, health, happiness, love.

1/1/08 10:37 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

You're right there, Gigi. It does take lots of blood and tears to change things.
I wish you everything you wish yourself and more.

1/1/08 11:11 PM  
Blogger Merisi said...

I read your New Year's wishes, Cream. If only I could remember where. I did enjoy your repeat wishes greatly, though. :-)
I apologize for neither answering your comments nor visiting your blog. It's not for want, just extremely busy right now, hardly managing to post (which I insist on doing, once I skip a day I know I will never find the time again).
I will be back when times are a bit quieter again.
A very happy New Year to you and your loved ones, peace and security , yes, for everyone, that would be paradise.

2/1/08 11:20 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Happy New Year from Morocco.
Yes the news is pretty grim - which it always is.
One just hopes that good people will always try their best to help others.
Best wishes from Morocco.

3/1/08 8:05 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Wishes, prayers, mantras - are they the same? To wish for an end to war and bloodshed, terrorism and torture and for the the children to be saved and for the world to be fed is sometimes all one can do. Or fall into a morass of despair.

3/1/08 10:17 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Happy New Year again, Merisi.
Don't fret, it is a busy time of year, indeed.
Back to normal and snow.

Bonne Annee, Elizabeth.
Let's hope this year will bring a bit of peace to many.
All the best from snowy England.

Best wishes, Pat.
I hope we won't fall in that morass.

3/1/08 11:47 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

You are so right and it could happen some day. Just keep spreading the light Cream!

5/1/08 8:22 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Val. you're a joy to have around!

6/1/08 12:07 AM  
Blogger Queenie said...

Here, here.

8/1/08 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home