A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Lazy Sunday...
























This has been a very lazy Sunday.
One of those damp, grey Sundays when I could not be bothered to do anything.
One of those Sundays that come after a busy Saturday night. The end of the month.

I got up late. Had a mug of tea, watched the news and just lazed around.
My son came to borrow the staple gun to put up the Christmas decorations and lights at the Tapas bar.
It is a job that I used to enjoy very much. But I passed it on to others a few years ago.

Later I raided the fridge and made some vegetable soup with what I could find.
I also made some unlevened bread the way my mother used to make it. But in a pancake pan.

The Euro 2008 draw was shown live on the telly. Next Summer will be a bit dull. None of the British teams made it.

While waiting for the soup to cook I practised My Lady D'Arbanville on my guitar. I resumed my guitar lessons a few weeks ago. A friend of mine has been giving me a weekly lesson. But I don't practise as often as I should. I go through phases. I watched a couple of versions of the song on YouTube and I'm getting to grips with the chords but the tips of my fingers feel raw.

Tonight we are supposed to go to the Tapas bar for our third Salsa lesson.
The lessons have become so popular that we have decided to also hold them on Tuesdays in the New Year.

A nice bowl of soup and a chunk of fresh bread.

Yes, a lazy Sunday indeed but the question remains... To Salsa or not to Salsa.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger valerie walsh said...

i love that song! yum soup and bread, yer a keeper!

2/12/07 11:14 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Sunday is Sunday....we're supposed to be doing NOTHING! ;-) Love the photos - as for the Salsa, definitely! I sometimes go to this bar to watch people dancing Salsa only on Sundays....if only I can find a partner....

3/12/07 8:32 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

A souper keeper, eh, Val...

Welcome back, Bella! Sundays should be called lazydays.
I did go to the salsa and it was great.

3/12/07 10:28 AM  
Blogger Queenie said...

You have to do the salsa!
I love lazy Sundays, Mondays Tuesdays any day if I could get away with it. I just can't seem to get into the Christmas mood, I'll leave the the trimmings till later. There is nothing I enjoy more than a bowl of soup and a chunk of bread, real winter fodder...

3/12/07 2:22 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

sounds like a perfect day! Lovely soup, lots of time to relax, and salsa for fun/exercise. could it get better?

3/12/07 3:51 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

As my punishment for teasing you [on the other post] about the warmth and sunshine here...guess what! We had a cold, grey, wet, rainy, grey, more rain, more wet day yesterday.

So we had thick soup, but West Indian style with yam, eddoe, sweet potatoes, barley and bak-choy.

You won't believe how many times I've gazed at those Marrakesh photos. sigh. It doesn't take much to create beauty, does it? All we need is imagination.

3/12/07 6:41 PM  
Blogger Queenie said...

Cream,
Had a letter from my Doc today, think I have to make hay, so looking at Marrakesh for the maker!!!

3/12/07 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rainy horrible rainy monday. I've been drenched by passing buses more times than I could count today! Grrr...

But it's Ok, because defrosted veg. soup is almost - ALMOST - as good as the fresh thing :)

To root vegetables, tea and music! CHEERS!

3/12/07 7:23 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Veggie soup and homemade bread - yummy!

My son used to soak the ends of his fingers in something to harden them when he was learning the guitar, so they wouldn't split.

I'm trying to persuade MWM to go to Salsa classes now I have my new knee. He's not too keen though. :(

3/12/07 7:56 PM  
Blogger Merisi said...

The moment I saw the photo with the vegetables, I knew how your lazy Sunday would end up. I tend to get cooking too when I feel I have time on my hands (btw, soups with vegetables harvested from the fridge are called "refrigerator soup" in my house *g*).
Would you kindly share your bread recipe? Your description makes me think of Indian naan, with caramelized onions on top.
I wished I could come to your Salsa nights! :-)

4/12/07 8:53 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Q, we did the Salsa and had a few Tapas. For someone who was in two minds as whether to go out, it was a good end to a lazy Sunday.
I hope you make it to Marrakesh and enjoy your time there.

Hayden, I did not lift a finger apart from making the soup and bread. And the Salsa was definitely a great exercise.

Gigi, serves you right! Haha! Your soup sounds absolutely yummy. I had to google eddoe because I’d never heard of it. Marrakesh is always on my mind.

FH, Tuesday is no better. I sometimes make big batches of soup and freeze it. Fastest food ever.

Akela, I think I need your son’s secret to stop my fingers aching. Salsa is a great dance to learn and it is quite a good exercise for the body. I really sweated!

Merisi, that’s a great name for a soup! The bread recipe is simple. ½kg medium semolina, same amount of plain flour. ½ tsp Salt. 50ml olive oil. Mix and add water until you end up with a dough. Knead well. Rest for 10 minutes and then roll like a pizza base. (This amount will make three ten inch rounds) Cook on a flat pan, low heat. Takes around 10 minutes.

4/12/07 12:14 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

My granny used to say anything that makes you sweat isn't good for you. I have found just the opposite! ((wink))

4/12/07 5:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hmm. Maybe I should take up the guitar FINALLy while my hands are already torn up.

I love nothing better than soup and bread. ( Um, well let me rethink that. There are a few things.)

5/12/07 1:54 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Akela, I don't know what you're on about.

Mary, leave your hands to rest a little. You've worked hard enough.
Sounds like you're on the same wavelength as Akela.

6/12/07 1:06 PM  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

Bread and soup. Thank you it is cold and about to start snowing again.


was that the Cat Steven's song? nice.

7/12/07 6:20 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Well, Chedwick, isn't it Summer in Antarctica?
Yes, it was.

7/12/07 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home