A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Foodie Marrakech...

You'll never go hungry in Marrakech...

Honest!
You can eat for £1 or £100 and that within a couple of square miles.

Breakfast at Le Grand Café de La Poste. I had one of the best plain omelettes ever there one morning. Earl Grey and fresh juice squeezed on the spot.



















Squid cooked three ways and Thai sticky rice at Café 16.











Followed by the most flavoursome macaroons I have ever tasted.
The lilac one was flavoured with violets and lavender.
Other flavours included Mint, Lemon, Coffee, Rose, etc... washed down with freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice....
No wonder Maryam likes desserts at Café 16!














A glass of refreshing mint tea at the Menara Café after a long walk...

























A drive up the Atlas Mountains and Ourika Valley where tiny shacks serve delicious tagines and salads by the side of a gentle stream.

















In the evening you have a choice between the Jemaa el Fna Square in the Médina where revellers gather around the numerous food stalls and dine on wooden benches and tables...









































...Or make your way along the Médina's quiet alleyways...

























...to slum it at one of the most amazing places in Marrakech, Ziwana where Kate Moss launched her Dior fragrance last December...

A cross between Dali, Picasso and Gaudi...











































Give me strength to get over this cold winter without losing my mind...


...

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Hayden said...

Breathtaking, beautiful, and it all looks scrumptious! Ya' know, maybe it's time to sort things out so you can spend winters in Marrakech - you've admitted your restaurants are getting on well without you -

25/11/07 2:17 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Violets and lavendar, streamside eating! This really looks like the place to get to.

25/11/07 12:58 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

It all sound so luscious! The food, the place, the atmosphere - I want to go now!

25/11/07 1:13 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

I'm working on that, Hayden. Slowly but surely once the restaurants can work totally without me...

Mary, it is a place to visit at least once in a lifetime. You may like it, love it or loathe it but it is an experience to be had.

Akela, it is absolutely luscious.
If you liked Egypt you will like Marrakech too.

25/11/07 2:18 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

Glad to hear that! perhaps you can soon reverse your current pattern; live in Marrakech and pop in on Scotland for a few days every month or so.

25/11/07 3:09 PM  
Blogger Queenie said...

Cream, I'm not a jealous sort of person but I so envy you going to Marrakech. I even dream about going there, I want it so badly. Not really jealous Cream, your pics and words make me feel like I'm there, thanks for sharing...

25/11/07 3:18 PM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

The dining creekside is my kinda dining! I absolutely would love that! Everything looks scrum!

25/11/07 8:36 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Bliss!

If you only knew how many times I've looked at your photos! I love beautiful things...I don't believe it takes much to create beauty.

Sigh.

26/11/07 7:41 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Hayden, that would be great. I am in Northern England which is just a few miles South of Scotland.

Queenie, make the dream come true.

Val, it was great with people from all over the world eating side by side.

Gigi, keep feasting on them macaroons. I can still taste those violets!

26/11/07 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh you're making me jealous cream! The last meal I had out was a dodgy steak down the pub. cost me 8 quid. I was not amused.

For someone who always hated cooking, i've got really into it now. I suppose when you're cooking for yourself you have to put in the effort - I've been spoiled foodwise by my mum. Now I have to work my own butt off making sure I have a different meal every day...

God I miss vegetables.

26/11/07 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also I tagged you Cream. Make it tasty :P

27/11/07 2:26 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

I want to go before I pop my clogs but the next best thing is taking the trip on your blog with the music. A delightful experience. Thank you!

27/11/07 3:45 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

FH, I learnt to cook from my mother and then experimented when I was at Sunderland Poly. It's all about planning a whole week's meals and then sticking to your plans. Cook two or three meals ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze.
I'm not sure about tags but if I can make it, I will.

Pi, I was speaking to one of our customers today and she said she hated it because of all the street sellers and their insistance. Even I, who speak their language was a little intimidated.
But it won't put me off going back.

27/11/07 9:11 PM  
Blogger Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

I feel like I've just had a long weekend in Marrakesh! Those macaroons make me swoon -- there is a shop that makes them here in Brussels, but I never tasted violet or mint flavours. You cannot have missed a visit to the Mamounia Hotel, surely? Maybe in the next batch of photos? It's true the hassle factor is pretty high. The trick is to find a big strapping good looking lad and pay him to keep the others away.

27/11/07 10:16 PM  
Blogger Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Oh and how about putting up some N.African music to go with the food? That fado is getting a bit faded ...

27/11/07 10:29 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

La Mamounia is being refurbished at the moment, Daphnee.
Faded Fado? Never.
But a change is as good as a rest. I hope you like Souad Massi.

28/11/07 12:07 AM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

YUM, YUM, YUM...OOPS, I'm drooling all over he laptop......;-)

2/12/07 5:59 AM  
Blogger Merisi said...

OK, I give in: May I ask you for the number to order some take-out from these fabulous places, pleeease?

4/12/07 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home