A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Another milestone... and counting down...

















Countdown celebrated its 25th birthday this week.
I remember watching the first one. It was the first program when Channel 4 began broadcasting back in 1982.
A fourth television channel! Wow! All we had before then were BBC1, BBC2 and ITV.


Then Richard Whiteley unveiled this new, exciting, off-the-wall channel with one of my favourite television games.
I used to watch the original French version, Des Chiffres et Des Lettres (Original title!!) back in Algeria in black and white.

And I also watched the Greek version in the summer of '78 on the island of Evia, a place which is known to at least one more blogger, Quarsan in Zoe's hilarious book, My boyfriend is a Twat.

Pause my music selection and...
Check out why Countdowners loved the late Richard Whiteley so much.



Has any of you watched another version of this addictive program?





...

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Akelamalu said...

I've only ever seen the British version. Twice Nightly Whitely was brilliant, though Des is doing a good job too.

4/11/07 2:29 PM  
Blogger Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Polish version is good - they can make a word with four Z's, two C's and three S's. Richard Whiteley was the Brad Pitt of the over 50's.

4/11/07 6:00 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

nope. haven't seen it.

4/11/07 9:04 PM  
Blogger Brom said...

I was off sick with a streaming cold last week, saw Countdown on Thursday but forgot on Friday which was the special I believe. Anyway Carol, after going through a bit of a 'weird phase' is, IMHO now back to being "Phoaaar"!

4/11/07 10:19 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

We don't have this in Singapore:-(

5/11/07 8:37 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Yes, Akela, Des does a good job but wasn't it Richard's blunders that made him so funny and human?

Daphnee, I once met his girlfriend, Kathryn Apanowicz, sounds Polish, at Radio Cleveland where I was cooking on Radio. She wasn't very pleased when all my questions concerned Richard.

Hayden, you'd love it. Check it out.

Yes, Brom she gets better with age!

Bella, you don't know what you're missing. ;o)

5/11/07 10:09 AM  
Blogger Queenie said...

Only British, but with my spelling don't you think thats a goog thing?

5/11/07 10:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is there an American version? I don't think I know what this is.

5/11/07 12:16 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Q, I think Richard would've loved having you around especially for your new words. ;o)

CD, there is an American version of Countdown or Des Chiffres et Des Lettres but I'm not sure what it is called.

5/11/07 5:05 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

We don't get British tv here, what a shame. My big. bro. in England sometimes talks about old, ooold favourites of his, like Spitting Image and some consumer show where the woman took her dead, stuffed cat in to complain about the botched up taxidermist-job...

7/11/07 10:50 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

...this has nothing to do with what you're saying, does it...?

7/11/07 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home