A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Wild life...


















A few years ago, Papa was driving me to the airport in his old Citroën to catch a plane to Algiers and then England.
At 75 he still drove very adeptly, having spent most of his working life on the road as an ambulance driver. He was doing around 100 km per hour on a familiar road, listening to an imam reciting Koranic verses and nonchalantly giving me a wink each time he expertly avoided a head-on collision with an oncoming juggernaut.
The road to the airport is full of twists and turns, dips and humps but Papa kept pointing out the scenery.
“Have you got pine forests like this in England?”
“Wild flowers like these?”
“Can you smell the wild spearmint, eh? Do you have spearmint in England?”

All of a sudden a black shape jumped in front of the car. Papa slammed the brakes. Screech...Too late... Thump!!!



Bismillah! In the name of God! Why? Why?”
I asked Papa what it was.
Khanzeer!
“A pig? I haven’t seen a pig since the French left Algeria in 1962!”
“A wild pig, I mean! A boar!”

We got out of the car and in front of it lay a baby wild boar. No sign of life or blood.
Papa checked his dented front bumper and cursed Satan.
“This must be a bad omen. I’m not sure you should get on that plane!”
I dismissed the episode as a simple accident but he went on mumbling.

Qu’est-ce qui c'est passé?” A voice enquired. I turned round and recognised a French lecturer who taught at the local college. He had parked his car behind Papa’s and got out to see what happened.



Papa a tué un marcassin!” Papa has killed a baby boar.
“I did not!” Papa shouted. “The bloody thing jumped in front of me!”

A second teacher got out of the car. The two picked up the animal, placed it in their car boot and drove off with the broadest of smiles.

My brother came to pick me up at Algiers airport. When I recounted the accident, he smiled and said: “Those French guys will probably be having a feast this evening!”




Any funny accidents or supersititions?


Photo: TrekEarth Laurent Vidalin.





....

Labels: , ,

30 Comments:

Blogger Hayden said...

my first thought was, "butcher it IMMEDIATELY!" Quick, hang it by it's heels and slit it's piggy throat! Or something. I really have no idea how or what needs to be done, just that my dad (who hunted) insisted that it must be done immediately to avoid strong flavors.

?????

anyway, I'm glad that it didn't get wasted. Hopefully they used it all, right down to the curl in the tail!

7/7/07 12:32 AM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Your papa sounds like my mum!!!

7/7/07 3:15 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Hayden, I thought you'd think FOOD!
Your dad was right about strong flavours, just think of pheasants.

Bella, does she see omens everywhere?

7/7/07 9:46 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Ha! My first thought was "dinner," too!

7/7/07 3:45 PM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Wonderful post! I love your stories about your dad!

7/7/07 5:37 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Andrea, I have heard that smoked wild boar is very nice.

Val, I could write a book about Papa. Thanks.

7/7/07 6:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your dad is quite the character and your writing makes him larger than life. Ever think of compiling a collection of stories? It may not be marketable in the mainstream but I'm sure there would be a circle of those who would take great enjoyment from reading them.

7/7/07 6:01 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

You should write a book about Papa.

7/7/07 8:21 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

CD, you've come up for air!!
I'd have to write the compilation in French. The family wouldn't be able to read it otherwise.

Mary, the idea is germinating...

7/7/07 9:32 PM  
Blogger SpanishGoth said...

Don't germinate - do.

Mariposa has been busy working in Tangier, Marakesh and Casablanca.

She is convinced our future is en Maroc mais, pour moi, je pense pas. Para mi, la vida es en Espagna pero......

8/7/07 7:17 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Je pense comme toi, Goth.
Too volatile! Especially with those mad cousins next door!
El futuro es en Espana... Next week, at least!

8/7/07 10:26 AM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

I had a similar experience with a wild deer. I left it in the road. It had disappeared by next morning. Someone somewhere was having a lovely venison feast.

8/7/07 6:43 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

I bet she thinks she does, Cream.

9/7/07 8:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that I've hit and killed THREE deer since moving to farm country. All in under a year.

Ironically, I feed herds of them in my backyard.

9/7/07 12:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hmm, wild boar... lovely! am I right in thinking that in england you can't eat your roadkill, but the people in the car behind you can?

9/7/07 5:16 PM  
Blogger landgirl said...

Just goes to show that one man's road kill is another man's feast.

I agree with mary that a book about your papa sounds wonderful. And to edvard--I am studying the highway code now for my UK driving license so I'll check under road kill and let you know.

9/7/07 6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chez nous les sangliers son légion ,comme l'ont été les romains!à force de slalomer ,ce sont les dit romains que nous avons dans la ligne de mire .
J'ai croisé pendant mes promenades en forêt à plusieurs reprise des femelles et leurs petits ,et Je n’ai vu aucun présage ! sauf une fois,un énorme mâle reconnaissable à ses énormes ...!défenses ,ni une ni deux sur la table de pique-nique nous nous sommes perchés , pendant que le "Sus scrofa"piétinait notre casse-croûte ,mémorable ! si l'animale n'avait détruit par la même occasion notre appareil photo

10/7/07 12:37 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

From Deer to Venison, overnight, Cherrybabes!
The poor old dear!

Bella, we'll have to introduce them. Does your mam speak Arabic or French?

CD, fancy being killed by the hand that fed you!

Marcos, I've never heard of this law. You'll just have to tow another car behind you.

Landgirl, welcome. Please find out whether Marcos is pulling my leg.

Dip, j'ai entendu plein d'histoires d'attaques de sangliers, surtout des truies accompagnées de leurs marcassins! Elles peuvent faire des dégâts!
Parlant de Romains, Obélix lui aussi leur en a foutu des tannées tout en dégustant des gigots de sangliers.

10/7/07 9:24 AM  
Blogger SpanishGoth said...

I rather like the way they dispose of roadkill in Canada.

Apparently, the mounties or whatever they're called, drive round with lots of sticks of dynamite. If they encounter a dead moose, they shove a stick of dynamite up it's arse and blow the fucker up.

Now that's MY kind of job

10/7/07 12:28 PM  
Blogger Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

From moose to mousse, eh?

10/7/07 3:33 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Goth, I can imagine that you'll be thinking about old enemies everytime you dispatch one.

Daphnée, mousse de venaison au Porto! Mmmm...

10/7/07 5:17 PM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Actually neither though she says her prayers in Arabic.....

11/7/07 3:30 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Ha! Bella! They can sit and pray together, then...

11/7/07 9:03 AM  
Blogger la bellina mammina said...

That they could do - except, can males and females pray together in the same room??

11/7/07 9:28 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

I wouldn't know. I don't do religion.

11/7/07 9:57 AM  
Blogger kj said...

he paints. he runs restaurants. he travels. he reads. he cooks.

and he tells a great story.....

thanks, cream.

12/7/07 2:05 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thanks, KJ, you're so generous!

12/7/07 6:56 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

You should see what happens to a cow when it gets knocked down here too!

Hahaha, this sentence is loaded with ...what's the phrase...double entendre? “A pig? I haven’t seen a pig since the French left Algeria in 1962!”

How is Papa these days, Cream?

12/7/07 8:08 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Gigi, I've just noticed the double entendre!!!
Papa is still doing great, thank you.

12/7/07 10:34 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Yay! I love Papa stories! You have a special relationship with your dad. He must be so proud of you.

14/7/07 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home