A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Out of the frying pan...

Friday night. 7.30. Happily doing nothing in my office.
Call from one of our restaurants. The gas griddle caught fire. The fire is out but so is the fire brigade. The fire chief insists on the supply being off until a qualified gas fitter comes to check the pipe for damage.
Frantic, headless search for a gas fitter at that time of a Friday night.
Parties of Christmas revellers waiting to be fed and wined.
A woman waiting to place hers and her husband's food order suggested that I should contact her company's gas fitting manager, Paul.
A mobile call.
Twenty minutes later, dressed for a night on the town, Paul landed with the company's gas fitter who was out on call that evening.
After a quick check, the chefs were able to light their cookers and begin cooking again.
I rewarded the three saviours with a dinner for two.

All in all, the first party of 28 women had waited forty minutes for their meal.
I offered them a few bottles of wine to pacify them, not that they were angry...They were simply hungry...

The evening went without any further emergencies.
Our visitors' book was full of witty remarks about fire and gas...
"Out of the frying pan into the fire?" "Cream, you're cooking on gas!"....

A snippet about the fire in the local paper on Saturday gave me the idea of milking the incident for more free publicity.
This morning, at 8.45 a journalist rang me for a splash in the paper in reply to the press release email I sent in.
Photo session planned for this afternoon with the fitter who saved the weekend.


The free publicity will make up for it all.

Any of you remembers this fire?

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"I rewarded the three saviours with a dinner for two."

I know you meant that they each received a dinner for two, but when I first read it, I pictured the three of them duking it out to see which of them gets to eat the two meals.

And fires are exciting. Last summer my mother burned down a sand dune with firewords.

11/12/06 3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only you could find a video like that! :O)
x

11/12/06 5:46 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

CD, I thought someone might think just that. It was each but they know one another enough to do some dunking!

Trac! Glad to make you smile.
Hope you're ok! xxx

11/12/06 6:46 PM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

I love that you seized the opportunity for free publicity. Opportunity knocks, or crackles, spits and roars in your case.

Glad it all turned out so well.

PS. Good things come out of the most surprisingly bleak places at times

11/12/06 9:22 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

brilliant use of the opportunity, as the train speeds down the track. ;)

11/12/06 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cherrybabe, I get what you mean! I swear things do usually turn out for the best!

Hayden, the train slows downs every now and then... And good things are met.

11/12/06 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cream, I keep hearing that song, fire fire, in she wire Pappa, da me mucho agua, oy yoy yoyyyy...

guyana-gyal

14/12/06 12:47 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Gigi, I don't think I've ever heard it. You'll have to let me know where I can.

14/12/06 2:41 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh cor blimy guv wot a happy ending, poor you you must have been nearly curdled avec le stress, bad enough a fire let alone all those hungry punters champing at the bit. I honestly have huge admiration for folks who cook for people and run restaurants, very hard work. Post the press bit when it happens, want to see a picture of cream survaying the damage and the heroic paul. xx

14/12/06 6:02 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

ha ha ha ...LOVE the vedio!

14/12/06 6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I know Cream, is that it's a Trini song. I'll ask around. It's a great song, lots of Caribbean flayvah to it.

14/12/06 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home