A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Confit used or what?


At 8.45 yesterday morning, while swimming in the gym pool I inadvertently bumped into a female swimmer.
I took my goggles off and began apologizing before she opened her mouth. I was expecting the usual:

"I do the breast stroke so that my hair doesn't get wet and you come barging in like Mark Spitz a hippo..."

I was wrong!

She said: "Can you please tell me? The caramelised onions that you serve with your pâté, how do you make them? I love them!"

Recovering from the shock I gave her our confit d'oignons recipe in great detail. Doing all the appropriate chopping gestures, a pinch of this, a glass of that, plenty of sugar...


Other swimmers nearly choked and drowned around us trying to listen to what we were saying.

She explained that she made lots of chutneys and relishes. I said I liked green tomato chutney.
"I use my husband's leftover green tomatoes from his glasshouse for that. Absolutely delicious!"

And with that, she lowered her body into the water and swam away...


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh well, your famous now with all that publicity.
Mary

15/12/06 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your reputation precedes you -- even in the pool! And while you're at it -- any simple serving suggestions for chutney? I love green tomato, mango, lime, any -- and never have enough reason to eat it...

Andrea (stupid &%^$! Blogger)

15/12/06 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh yes, it was all that publicity. Did you advertise your Go and stuff your pepper blog too? I hope so.

Darn, she's married, I was hoping some romance would come of this encounter. I watch too much Bollywood.

15/12/06 4:56 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Yes, Mary and now everybody knows that I spend more time bathing with women than doing my work.

Andrea, chutneys can be served with Pâtés, terrines, cheeses, Indian meals, and lots more things...

No, Gigi, the food blog is just for a laugh. Yes, she's married! I did the breast stroke and she slapped me;o)

15/12/06 5:42 PM  
Blogger Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

This could start a new craze - the swimming chef! You could start aqua-cuisine lessons. Are you sure SHE didn't bump into YOU, just to get your recipe? We all know what married women OOP NOARTH are like.

15/12/06 7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to mention I tried to leave a comment on your art blog but it won't let me lately leave any comments on any blogger beta blogs! But I love your Help post it is beautiful and well said!~valgalart

15/12/06 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful story! now for the mystery of whether beta will allow me to post or not. it seems about 1 in 10 tries gets through.... I'll try anonymous... ;-) (hayden)

15/12/06 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cream, sorry
a bit slow sussing out that if Beta don't let me comment, all I have to do is sign in anonymous

"Awesome Tale" - Almost a fairytale
had she not been married
she could have been your dream date
(unless you are already married)
like meeting the mermaid in Splash

Quasar9

15/12/06 11:24 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Daphnée, that could be a good idea!
Aquadiet! Water and nowt else! You could have meat-flavoured water, chocolate-flavoured water, etc...
I have no idea what married Northern women are like, girl.
I have emailed you again... Any luck?

Thanks, Val. Beta has been a pain in the neck for many lately.

Hayden, you may need to sign in on the top right of the page. Thanks.

Quasar, now I know why she was a good swimmer!

16/12/06 10:16 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Welcome, Keith!
I have visited your site on many occasions and we have many common blogfriends, I can assure you. Reputation? Oh, my God!

Blogger has been a pain a pain in the neck, I know.

17/12/06 12:32 PM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

There's not many men that can say they've been complimented on their onions whilst wearing speedos. Way to go, Cream.

Please will you add that recipe to your forgotten food blog. I think I'd like to sample some of your finest with some cheese and a fine wine x

19/12/06 8:58 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Ok, Cherrybabe, I will, one of these days.
You are awful! Ding dong...x

20/12/06 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home