A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Cooking on Radio...



I have done it a few times over the years for Radio Cleveland (The original one, not the one in Ohio) and our town radio.


Whenever they happen to have a gap to fill I am their last resort. The kind where “panoramic views” mean a construction site just outside your bedroom window.

The only thing the station provides is an antique 4-ring electric cooker that takes ages to heat up.
“The show starts just after the midday news, so feel free to arrive any time after 11am.”

Being anal about organisation, I choose a couple of recipes and then compile the list of ingredients days in advance. Salt, check...Pepper, check...Coriander, check...
On the morning of the show, well before the chefs arrive for work I raid one of our kitchens and head for Middlesbrough.

Like a tramp searching for a new pitch, I make my way from the underground car park, carrying three or four Asda bags full of foodstuffs and clanging pots and pans along a few back alleys and up two flights of stairs to the station’s galley.

A reporter on his tea break enquires: “Are you today’s cookery spot?”… “I’ve been to your restaurants.”
I am then left on my own to prepare the food, reserving the finishing touches till the start of the programme.

Two years ago, Kathryn Apanowicz was guest presenter. For those who have never heard of her, she was the girlfriend of the late Countdown’s Richard Whiteley.
I introduced myself and gave her a bit of info on our restaurants to use in the programme.
I'm doing it for free, so I might as well PLUG, PLUG, PLUG...
Just after the weather, she gave me a short introduction and began asking about the food I was cooking that day. One the menu I had pan fried fillets of sea bass with garlic and rosemary and our signature lamb Tagine with couscous.

Cooking on radio is about sounds just as cooking on TV is about colours and textures.
Woooshhhhh…. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh… Crackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk…
Bangggggg……Splashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh….Slurpppppppppppp…Mmmmmmmm….

Kathryn, a seasoned cook herself, was very impressed with the Algerian flavours of cumin, coriander, garlic, etc… She truly enjoyed tasting the dishes before other ravenous DJ’s came along to grab the last few mouthfuls.
As soon as the food was demolished, I was left to tidy up, pack my pots and pans and say my goodbyes.

Before I left, Kathryn made my day when she said she would try the dishes out on her darling Richard, whom I dearly miss…
...
PS: IF YOU WANT TO COMMENT AND CAN'T
Sign in as "other" then fill in the rest below...
Your blogger name and blogsite.
Thanks, Gigi!
....

Labels:

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post, Cream. Well organised people always get my vote. I think it's the glue of success, being organised.

Plan, plan, plan.

Heh, I like that, plug, plug, plug.

It must've been fun doing the show!

8/9/06 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY, EVERYBODY, IF YOU WANT TO COMMENT AND CAN'T...sign in as 'other,' then fill in the rest below...your blogger name and blogsite.

8/9/06 1:34 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Shoot. I found it online but it's already 2pm there. Hope it when smoothly. I too like to be organized.

8/9/06 1:55 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Yes, Gigi, it was really good! And when I came back to the restaurant I raided for the ingredients, the chefs gave me dirty looks! ;0)
Thanks for the tip!

Mary, it went swimmingly! It was great fun and the feedback I got from listeners was worth the hassle!

8/9/06 5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, must have been so much fun! Great promotion too. Is there anything you don't do?!! Wish I could've listened in.

I couldn't comment before, Happy one year, Cream!!! : ) It's been great getting to know you!

9/9/06 12:09 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Never thought I'd be reading about listening about food... Looks like it sounds like it tastes great!

9/9/06 2:53 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Hiya, Christine! I'm glad you've managed to comment! Thanks! You've been with us since November last year!!Wow! Great to know you too!!
Yes, anything that gets me on the frontpage is good for our restaurants! A bit of vanity, too!

Viking, I think I could've done the whole programme without touching a pan! The sound effects were all we needed!

9/9/06 9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done, cream! i don't know if you've ever looked at my photo page, but you can cook with photos, too. simply choose a dead easy recipe and photograph it step by step.

i've done one on 'making soup' and another on 'preparing a raclette'. the commentary underneath was written by Quarsan à la 'Posh Nosh', making it sound totally barking - but easy to follow :)

9/9/06 11:21 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Z, what a way with words, your Quarsan has: "Fornicate the mixture well, until spontaneous rippling releases the characteristic aroma of an engorged Lotti!"
I think I should use the same floral English to describe my menus!

9/9/06 11:42 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh oh oh....aaaah!
(orgasmic response to your food descriptions!) It must be good, no moving pics, no sound...just words! I am ravenous, its nearly supper time..mmm, where are your restaurants, I want to go there NOW.
Thanks for the tip about commenting, I am finding that almost impossible now that blogger has gon beta!?
And I like commenting...better go eat something, getting petulant!

9/9/06 3:51 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

MRS, my restaurants are in the North East of England. I'll email you.
I am glad you enjoyed this post.
Hope you had a good supper!

9/9/06 5:41 PM  
Blogger LDahl said...

Durn you Cream....you awful tease!!!
HEHEHE! You make me want to eat for flavor, not to just to get on down the road without falling over:)))
The problem with that? Well to be honest, there are not that many really good cooks around here. I only know one, and she is 90 miles away. So I read your posts and I am tortured!!!

9/9/06 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cream, you HAVE to know that every time I read your food posts, my stomach gets hungry. I can see it and smell it in my mind, BUT I CAN'T TASTE IT DARN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9/9/06 7:15 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Ninety miles away? That IS torture, L!! The worse thing about bad meals is that, by the time you find that out, it is too late to do anything about them!

Lee, I WOULD kill to have a meal at your place!

10/9/06 11:07 AM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Please may I have your autograph and a seat at the kitchen table when the cameras come?

10/9/06 11:28 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

Ooooh so you're a media star too?

Can you give us a YouTube of your performance?

11/9/06 2:07 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Cherrybabe, your seat is booked! Bring your own camera, just in case!

Well, Lettuce, I'm waiting to take over from Gordon in Hell's Kitchen!
I'll have to learn to swear, now!

11/9/06 5:56 PM  
Blogger Trac said...

Hi Cream... I just can't stay away any longer! :O)

But I can combine a comment for both your last posts!

In my case... Love is the fact that my husband continues to eat my cooking! Well tries to anyway...He has done for 18 years but hasn't actually been poisoned yet! (but I'm working on it!) :O)

11/9/06 8:58 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Hi, Trac! Nice to have you back!
A way to a man's heart, eh!
You Super-cookie!

12/9/06 7:01 PM  
Blogger Trac said...

Nah! A way to a mans heart is with a carving knife!
(Present company excepted of course!):O)

Crikey, just realised I've mentioned poisoning and now stabbing! Are you sure it's nice to have me back!? hehehehehe...

13/9/06 12:46 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

OMG - quelle bloomer! I didn't realise! I shall kneel on peas for the rest of the week. I'm walking backwards now, head averted.

14/9/06 10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just the word Middlesbrough makes the hairs on the back of my head stand up. It's the British Beirut. Only someone who's braved the Casbah in Algiers could be nuts enough to walk through the backstreets of the Boro with bags full of food. Cream you are a truly fearless man.

14/9/06 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trac, I am worried about your culinary tendencies!!

Pi, and peas always go together up here! But don't you fret, I am only a cowboy chef! Bluffed my way to the cooker from the sink!

I love that, Daphnée! Only you would come up with something as funny! Hahaha!
By the way, the Boro is getting an gallery right in the centre of town! And it's not a rogues gallery!

14/9/06 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home