A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Warrior of Light

Someone sent me this piece from Paulo Coelho's The Warrior of Light....


All the world’s roads lead to the heart of the warrior. He plunges unhesitatingly into the river of passions always flowing through his life. The warrior knows that he is free to choose his desires, and he makes these decisions with courage, detachment and –sometimes - with just a touch of madness!

He embraces his passions and enjoys them intensely. He knows that there is no need to renounce the pleasures of conquest, they are part of life and bring joy to all those who participate in them.

But he never loses sight of those things that last or of the strong bonds that are forged over time. A warrior can distinguish between the transient and the enduring.

Warriors of light always have a certain gleam in their eyes. They are of this world, they are part of the lives of other people and they set out on their journey with no saddlebags and no sandals.

They are often cowardly. They do not always make the right decisions. They suffer over the most trivial things, they have mean thoughts and sometimes believe they are incapable of growing. They frequently deem themselves unworthy of any blessing or miracle.

They are not always quite sure what they are doing here. They spend many sleepless nights, believing that their lives have no meaning. That is why they are warriors of light, because they make mistakes, because they ask themselves questions, because they are looking for a reason – and are sure to find it!

Sometimes the warrior feels as if he is living two lives at once. In one of them he is obliged to do all the things he does not want to do and to fight for ideas in which he does not believe.

But there is another life, and he discovers it in his dreams, in his reading and in his encounters with people who share his ideas. The warrior allows his two lives to draw near.

“There is a bridge that links what I do with what I would like to do,” he thinks. Slowly, his dreams take over his everyday life and then he realises that he is ready for the thing he always wanted. Then all that is needed is a little daring, and his two lives become one.

The warrior of light studies the two columns on either side of the door he is trying to open. One is called “Fear” and the other is called “Desire”.

The warrior looks at the column of Fear and on it is written: “You are entering a dangerous, unfamiliar world where everything you have learned up until now will prove useless”.

The warrior looks at the column of Desire and on it is written: “You are about to leave a familiar world wherein are stored all the things you ever wanted and for which you struggled long and hard.”

The warrior smiles because nothing frightens him and nothing holds him. With the confidence of one who knows what he wants, he opens the door

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Hmmmm...I like that. I think my two lives are converging

25/7/06 8:08 PM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Most of my favorite warriors are old school: THOR, CONAN, TARZAN, SIR LANCELOT, and TUROK.
Tough but Fair. Fearless but not foolish. Protectors of the weak and oppressed. Passionate.

I know, I know...Self confidence probably doesn't have to accompany this much testosterone
but what-are-ya-gonna do?
I prefer those uncomplicated role models. Heroes are mythical so they might as well be larger than life.

Real heroes are full of contradictions and foibles. Humans who get elevated to hero status always come with a truckload of baggage that we either decide to acknowledge or ignore.

25/7/06 10:23 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Make your choice but until the moment that you make it, keep it to yourself and don't break hearts on the way.

Maybe one day I will learn to listen to my own advice!?

Be happy!

Kitty
xxxx

25/7/06 11:24 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Mary, you are very lucky! Well done!

HE, you are right there! Very true about luggage!

Kitty, thanks for your wise words!
It is also said that successful people follow the same advice they prescribe for others, so you're already there!

26/7/06 12:43 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Bet you already read it, but in case you haven't try Hermann Hesse's Siddharta.
All roads can take a man to wisdom just the same way all roads can take him away from it. But whatever the path it can never be teached and must be trodded by those who search...
Yet, you don't seem like someone who needs anybody to point you the way, you seem to find your own way well enough, by living your life fully mostly.

26/7/06 4:24 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I am a BIG fan of Paulo Coelho...I've read his views, his interviews, I hounded family abroad until they got me The Alchemist. I think you'd like The Alchemist, Cream.

I like Herman Hesse too, very much, but one or two of his books were sad / dark, but he writes so well!

26/7/06 6:53 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

DC, I will try and get Siddharta. I haven't read it.
I have always been someone who's lived his life fully but every now and then, I have myself chasing my own tail. I need to stop, gather my thoughts and then start again in whatever direction my heart takes me.

Gigi, I have read The Alchemist. It was very enlightening. He always seems to know what to tell. No wonder he's so popular.

27/7/06 9:10 AM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Being able to sense your heart would prefer to follow a different path and having the courage to change your direction. Huuummm... That sounds like wisdom to me. ;)

27/7/06 9:44 PM  
Blogger billie said...

this is food for thought. very thought provoking post.

29/7/06 1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home