A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Spanish Lessons...

David (pronounced like Ginola) the guy from Barcelona did not contact me after our first date back in March.
I put it down to my dull personality or the fact that I did not get his Spanish humour...

On Monday, he called and explained that he had left his mobile phone in Barcelona the last time he visited his parents and that was why he had not contacted me...

At the time we had arranged to meet on a regular basis to give us a chance to improve our languages...English for him and Spanish for me... If you ever meet a Spanish guy in Barcelona speaking with an Algerian Geordie accent, that is David!

We met yesterday at one o'clock in Newcastle. The weather was truly Mediterranean so we headed for the quayside and went to the Baltic for a drink and a session of Anglo-Spanish chat...

Two and half hours of hand-signals, roundabout-ways, lots of laughs and we really hit it off! So much so that we have definitely agreed to meet once a week!

I have been advised against using a dictionary because "it is more fun to learn words by describing them using the vocabulary already acquired." Yes, miss!

I can make myself understood but, being a wee bit of a perfectionist (at the things I really like) I want to be able to speak Spanish fairly well...

I have a feeling that this kind of "date" will enable me to do just exactly that!
Now I sound something like this...

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger ramblingwoman said...

HHHHilarious Cream!

Y muy bien! (that's about the extent of my Spanish!)

8/6/06 1:45 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hola Cream! Que tal?
Sounds fun. I took 4 years of Spanish in school but I only remember a little. I used to have a pen pal from Spain when I was a teen.

8/6/06 1:55 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

will bloody blogger let me leave a comment this time? shouldn't complain really, it is free. Have you ever read through blogger forum stuff? they all complain so much!!!

Anyway, what was I going to say? something about quite fancying the sound of a Spanish/Algerian/Geordie accent.

And something about the great vid. - better than learning your Spanish "from a boooocchh".

8/6/06 5:44 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Fawlty Towers clips should be included in every post on every blog :)

8/6/06 7:20 PM  
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

Shall we just call you Manuel from now on then?

Brilliant clip :-)

8/6/06 8:42 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Oh that was great. I love Fawlty Towers. Just love it.

David needs to move in with you really. His English would improve no end and we'd all have something really juicy to gossip about.

When Gerry lived here, he learnt French, cos I wouldn't speak to him in English at home, and he now speaks perfect French but with a Geordie accent. Sounds wonderful.

8/6/06 8:48 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Bloody Blogger! So annoying these last few days!

Rambler, I have watched that clip at least twenty times. It cracks me up every time!

Mary, estoy muy bien y tu?
Languages are like an extra door to the world!

Lettuce, you sounded Geordie ust there... Glad you like Manuel!

Viking, so you get them in the US... Do you understand them???

No, Dons, man...Not Manuel, please! Cream is bad enough!

Kitty, I might offer him a job in our Tapas Bar...He'll be the only Spaniard there and he will HAVE to learn English!
You're such a hard woman but it was a good idea to speak only English to Gerry... Geordie French! Gan doon ze toon?

8/6/06 11:17 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thank you, Trac! I think I'm on a roll with YouTube but it's you and Tat who introduced me to it!
Manuel is hilarious and I keep clicking on the link for a quick laugh...

And thank you also for sending me my Singing Competition First Prize!
Vanilla flavoured Elvis Air Freshener! Who would've guessed!
My car smells like a bakery but I love it! Thank you!

9/6/06 9:48 AM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Rats! No sound on this damned computer. I'll have to listen to it later when I get home.

9/6/06 11:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh gosh!!!! watch out for the CATALAN ACCENT :)

9/6/06 8:55 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

DC, well that's what you get when you check Blogger at work!

KG, if you first don't succeed, try, try and try again!

Wendz, I can't believe that you got one as well! I thought 1st Prize was supposed to be better than 2nd Prize! A bloody chocolate on top of that!
I am gonna complain to the sponsors!

Trac, Indeedy!
And I hereby formally complain re: the above!
That's favouritism! A Chocolate! Especially when you have chocolates named after you!!!


Ale, let's not get there... I might end up with one!

10/6/06 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home