A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Suits you, Sir...


Last night I went to the town's Businessman of the Year Award ceremony.

Posh do! Suit and tie, which I really hate!

But it was nice to be invited and sit with some pleasant, successful people. A guy recycles golf balls! They are fished out of the bottom of lakes and ponds all over the world. He cleans and polishes them, then resell them at a cutdown price. What a great idea!

The food was ok and the wine flowed all night. Magicians went round the tables performing amazing card tricks...

The awards were handed out Oscar-style. Music, videos, photos, etc...

Then this guy, introduced as "A retired bank manager from York" began his piece with a joke about his travels, then went on to tell another joke, then another one... This carried on for about an hour!
It was only near the end that I realised that he was a stand-up comic!!
I honestly was waiting for him to start talking about business and financial things...

The evening was only spoilt when a stray nail caught my suit jacket and tore it beyond repair!

I've never liked suits anyway!

12 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Bummer about the suit. Who wants to spend money on something you don't even want. So, you did you get an award?

24/5/06 2:37 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

yeah shame about the suit! Was it your nail? Can you claim on the insurance?

Sounds like a great night out! Did you win an award? For Best Bon Viveur in Europe, Carcassonne and the world?

24/5/06 4:20 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Mary, shame about the suit! I'd only worn it three times in 10 months, 2 weddings and last night!
No award! But I've been told that there will be a Hospitality Award next year. So, fingers crossed!

Rambler, It was a metal nail sticking out of a gate... Didn't know one could claim for suits. Accidental damage? Don't like paperwork!
That could be a good award! Bon Viveur!

24/5/06 4:59 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Suit's gone kapoot?

Perhaps you could mosaic one - no nail would ever get through that - mind you it might be a bit tough to sit in...

24/5/06 5:28 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Birthday suit next year, I reckon. You could always wear a tie just to be formal! You could be the guest streaker as opposed to speaker.

24/5/06 5:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dont tell me you met the golfball man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He used to dive the courses at Matfen Hall! Brilliant idea though, originality at its best.

24/5/06 6:37 PM  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I'm with you about the suits. I have only one..a black one...good for the two occasions I wear them, weddings and funerals.

24/5/06 7:33 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hooray for Hagar!

Too bad for the suit. I hate them too, but you know you'll have to buy a new one...

24/5/06 9:07 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Caro, that would be a good idea! A suit of many colours!

Cheeky Kitty! Guest Streaker! You're so fast! I hope I get a standing ovation!

Wendy, I have a feeling that Jamie Oliver might be jealous of my andouillettes!

CR, I don't think it's the same guy! This one plied his game on the links at Seaton! Diving at Maften Hall! Worse than the boxing day dip!

Brian, it's like my black tie! Only comes out at funerals otherwise it's gathering dust!

Viking, I think Hagar must have some Algerian blood! He parties like me!

24/5/06 9:26 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

Hmmm not much detail here about the food, the suit obviously distracted you.

25/5/06 7:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

stray nail.... hm.... not sure if i buy that one... did Karen go with you? did her dress also cought that same stray nail?

25/5/06 8:28 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

LOL I always ruin my suits the third or fourth time I use them. This means they last like ten years or so... ;)

25/5/06 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home