A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

May the Fourth be with you...

Twenty one years today!
Not my age, silly! You know I'm 53 years old in body, 25 in my head and 16 in my heart!
Twenty one years in business!
Time flies when you're having fennel! And it flies too fast if you don't watch out!
An era!
Could it have been an Error...
What if I had stuck to my Naval Architecture?

What I have done has been a series of enterprises borne out of natural progression rather than as a result of erratic or drastic decisions.
Long ago I understood that location is one the most important factors for a restaurant's success. You may cook the best dish in the world but you are out in the sticks then you will no doubt face an uphill struggle.
By identifying the best new locations as trends moved and changed I have been able to always be one step ahead of the rest. And ended up with three successful restaurants...

Yet, twenty one years on, I feel like Sisyphus... Done things like he pushed the stone only because that was the only way.

I may be feeling melancholic at the realisation that if I was to put my whole life in a sieve and give it a good shake there won't be anything worthwhile left at the bottom.


Today, while I should be wearing my laurels, I am not feeling Olympic at all!

9 Comments:

Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Who are we to judge a life? What are you hoping to see at the bottom of the sieve? What would you rather see? I would like to see love, friendship, music and laughter. (and good food!)

And to have the professional success you've had is a bonus on top of all that!

Pat yourself on the back! It's just the shock from all that exercise yesterday.

4/5/06 2:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

your acheivement is a cracker marra! I am starting up at the moment and if I can be anywhere near as succesfull as your interests then I will be satisfied. Different ball game like but all the same - well done!!

CR

4/5/06 2:58 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Oh Cream, if you've not made a success of your life so far then I'm not sure what is success. Congrats on 21 years.

Don't go to the gym again, it's done funny things to your mind.

I put you in my latest story anyway. Hope you like it.

4/5/06 4:39 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Aw, Cream. I agree with Le Chat entirely. Bravo and happy 21st birthday.

4/5/06 7:00 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thank you all! Just feeling sorry for myself!

4/5/06 9:11 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Well, you're allowed. As one of my favourite lines in Pretty in Pink goes, when someone accuses Claire of feeling sorry for herself, "No one else is going to feel sorry for me..."

4/5/06 9:58 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Feeling sorry for yourself? What with a nice family, a sucessful business, and all things you've acomplished? Snap out of it! Leave the sorrow for those who can't get one thing right! ;)

5/5/06 7:43 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thanks Annie, Christine and DC!
Great mates!

6/5/06 11:45 AM  
Blogger iluvnyc said...

wow!!!!
congratulations, man!!!!
may you have another 21 yrs and MORE ahead :)

11/5/06 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home