A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I am feeling Olympic! Part 2

This morning I went to the gym for the first time since hurting my shoulder playing squash!
They do an amazing breakfast: Bacon, egg, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread... but that's not why I went!

Lately, my trapped nerve has really been getting me down even though our Viking physio guy and I are seeing a considerable amount of progress!

I have been vegetating in front of the computer monitor, 10% work and 90% blogging, drawing, writing, waffling... I love the 90% bit!
Bulges began appearing in places where I thought I had beaten the flab!
And I started worrying!
Fifty three and on a downward spiral to join the fat nation's fascination and infatuation with food!
Actually I eat healthy! But I also drink healthy! Bloody healthy amounts!
But the lack of regular movement began to play havoc with my jeans!
They've bloody shrunk! Honestly!

So this morning, I got to the gym at 7.30! The receptionist nearly had a heart attack when she saw because every time I'd met her over the last few months I promised that I would start the following Monday!

It was so nice to be recognised! Even my old membership card was pleasantly identified by the scanner!
A couple more old regulars suffered strokes when they saw me step into the unrecognisable changing room! The buggers have shuffled all the furniture round, taken the carpet out, etc...

My usual locker was empty and waiting. My usual slick routine was a bit rusty and trying to fathom out the padlock secret code slowed me down even more.
I headed for the gym. Familiar faces greeted me like the returning prodigal son. "Yeah, man I'm back to kick some ass!"
I headed for my Air machine stepper! God I love that apparatus! Right in front of BBC 1 and the glistening marina!

I did 12 minutes at a fair pace! My nerve began twinging!
I then did another 15 minutes here and then, familiarising the various machines with my extra pounds just in case they collapsed under the stress and finally headed for the pool.

More familiar faces bobbing up and down in the water. I did 5 minutes of back stroke in the Jacuzzi before shedding a couple of pounds of sweat in the steam room .
A few lengths of the pool woke the nerve up.
So I gave up and hit the showers!
What a fantastic feeling!
The sun is shining! I have a spring in my step! I ate an apple for breakfast!
I am feeling truly Olympic!

12 Comments:

Blogger Identikit said...

I think I should join you. I did go for a run this morning but other than making my knee and ankle hurt, it just left me really hungry. I had to tuck into my emergency banana as soon as I got back and then had another two bananas half an hour later. I shall have to rename myself Le Singe at this rate. Um!

It must be so hard though not to put on weight when you are surrounded by all that wonderful food all the time. I couldn't do it.

I'm like you though I eat fine (I have to) but I drink like a fish.

3/5/06 12:30 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Bravo!

3/5/06 1:53 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Kitty, I don't think you need to join a gym! AA could help you get fit, just like it would Wendy or me! It's nearly 2pm and I haven't had anything since the apple! Go on chuck us one of those bananas, please:)

Christine, when the film came out I got myself a cream suit and a dark shirt! NO JOKE and I did strut like JT! What a sight that must've been! However, I just don't think it's the same in my track suit!

Wendy, wait and see, my chick! Maybe not the London Marathon but a few rounds of tiggy, maybe!

Thanks, Mary! I'm still out of breath!

3/5/06 2:01 PM  
Blogger LDahl said...

K, I love your blog......and your world, I love living for a few minutes through your eyes and words. Good morning, have a most happy day.

3/5/06 2:49 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

My "gym" is filled with boxes awaiting the moving, so I've been settling for some walks. Had a nice 3hour walk just yesterday and if you ask me it beats any exercise done within four walls! ;)

3/5/06 5:01 PM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Hi Cream! You are a trooper!!! You could have easily talked yourself out of going but good for you with trapped nerve and all you went for it! Once you finally plunge back into it it's all up hill from here!!!
p.s. I did 6 randoms just for you!

3/5/06 6:22 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

DC, you have to have time for a 3-hour walk! I wish that I had some!

Trac, join the club! Well both, the gym and the wine club!

L, thanks! I love you visiting!

Wendy, watch out for the dead horse's head on your doorstep!

Val, will have to check you 6 random things! I know I just was starting to vegetate and I don't like it! Up at 7 in the morning!

3/5/06 6:57 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I wish I had that kind of enthusiasm! But no matter what I eat I sat skinny, so where's the motivation? They keep telling me youth only lasts so long though...

3/5/06 8:51 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Wow! 7.30! Blimus! So what else have you eaten today?

I ate a pomegranate for lunch and thought of you . (I also ate a tuna salad and a handful of nuts)

3/5/06 11:10 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Viking, that's what's called youth! But then the good life catches up with you when you're not looking! Keep fit while you're young it'll come in handy later!

Wendy, yes over bad shoulder!

Rambler, today, I've been eating mostly soup!!
I had an apple for breakfast, a bowl of soup at one, a bowl of soup at five, a plateful of roast vegetables and buggered a good day's diet with one Mojito and two Buds at 10pm!
Gym at 7.30!
I love Pomegranate seeds in a bowl with orange blossom, 1 tsp of sugar and some plain yogurt! Ahhh!

4/5/06 12:56 AM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Bravo!
I vicariously enjoyed the trip to the gym with you. Whew! I feel much better.

My hip is all wonky from the dreaded troika of moving a concrete bird bath(DOH!), one rum induced Polka with a long lost cousin(DOH!), and chasing cats and racoons out of the yard(DOH!). I won't discard my hibernatory chub until late summer at this rate.

What a Fat-ass-tic feeling!
The sun ain't shining here today it might snow tonight?. I have more FALL than spring in my step and I ate a box of donuts for breakfast.

I am feeling truly O-limp-pic.

4/5/06 6:19 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

H.E. Glad you enjoyed MY workout!
Watch out for them doughnuts! They come back with a vengence!

4/5/06 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home