A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Sixty two languages!

I listened to the Pope's Easter address and he wished a happy Easter to Mongolians, Croatians, Swahilis...
I watched and remembered last July in the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel. The square wasn't as busy as today but the queue to the Sistine Chapel was very long. Water sellers made a bomb...a water bomb!

As we neared the Sistine Chapel a lady asked me whether we had reached it.
I joked: "This is the Fifteen. The Sistine is next!" She gave me a very uncatholic look.

It didn't bother me because I am ahteits...paygan not religious. I only went to the Vatican to say "I've been there!"

Today as I listened to the sixty two languages I wondered whether people from those countries would be laughing at the Pope's accent!
Mind you, his French accent was very good although his English had frightening German tones.

I tried Tony's Chinese contraption and it didn't work. So I had another glass of Monte! Slurp!

10 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Very funny! Fifteen, Sistine. I love it.
Sorry about Chinese thing not working. Can you take ibuprofin?

16/4/06 7:22 PM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Oh! I didn't geddit until I saw Mary's comment. Duh!

I saw one of Pope Benedetto's Sunday morning blessings last May ( there were over 200,000 people of all nationalities in St Peter's Square. It was awesome). I wondered about the accent thing too.

16/4/06 9:59 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Mary, I'm hooked on Ibuprofen! We are on firstname terms! I am thinking about getting hooked on wine instead!

Cherry babe, you need to be a foreigner to think of these subtle(!) jokes!
Eet eez ze fur-knee axe on!

16/4/06 11:01 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

Ibu... (see, I AM on first name terms with Ibuprofen) is much different than a glass of wine, but the two never quarrel at all.

Ibu daily, wine when I whine.

17/4/06 5:57 AM  
Blogger Hayden said...

having said that, I recognize that I'm medically wrong.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

drinking and IBU are strictly NOT recommended. liver failure, in some small slice of the population can occur.

but they do work together in terms of pain relief.

so it works. but death relieves pain too.

so many choices.

17/4/06 5:59 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thanks for the health warning, Hayden.
I have given up Ibuprofen.
I prefer to feel the pain when I raise my glass of wine!

17/4/06 10:33 AM  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I liked your words, "It didn't bother me because I am ahteits...paygan not religious."
I am trying to give up religion as well, and simply sticking with whats left after I put the whole pot of spirituality on the flame and boil off(reduce) the religious baggage. The baggage is what makes the mixture bitter and unpalatable. I think I'll end up with a sauce that is quite smooth and full of intense flavour...complimented quite nicely with a glass of Montepulciano. Cheers, Cream.

17/4/06 4:17 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Sorry, but even the weirdest accent when speaking Portuguese isn't enough to make me laugh. The fact that Ratzinger is the pope seems way too serious to laugh.

17/4/06 5:21 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thanks, Brian.And good luck with your religious cooking! Cheers!

Why serious, DC?

17/4/06 7:21 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hee hee hee I love a pun. Hot cross puns for Easter.

20/4/06 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home