A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Friday, April 07, 2006

A new clear day...

Today I went to a Cash and Carry warehouse to see if I could find some outdoor furniture for Casa.
You see, up here in the North East of England, people are very hardy. Give them a tiny ray of sunshine and they will gladly sit outside with a beer.
I had forgotten my card but a day pass was soon produced to admit me.
They only had the aluminium kind (now for our friends across the Pond, it is Al-you-min-yum not Aloomi numb! G.W.Bush drives me crazy when he says that or Newcular for Nuclear!)

I looked around the place, going from the food section, (vegetables and meats from all over) to the non-food section (Computers, tellies, pans, etc...)
I leafed through a few books, caressed a couple of saucepans, kicked one or two bike tyres and then decided to buy myself some headphones and a bottle of Allure aftershave.

I left the shop minus the outdoor furniture but I smelt nice.

I've discovered a useful website where I learnt how to say "Hello" in Inuit, "Kutaa" and Mohawk, "Kwe" just in case we get a customer from one of these great nations.
I also learnt how to say "I love you!" in Sioux, "Techihhila" and in Friesian, "Ik hald fan dei".

So on the whole, today has been quite fruitful even though I spilt a whole bottle of water on my lap just before I went into the warehouse.
The receptionist kindly pointed to the toilets after she gave me the day pass.


.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cherrypie said...

Fisehatak, Cream. You make me smile xx

7/4/06 7:34 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

You sure know how to enjoy shopping, Cream. Caressed a pot or two, kicked a bike wheel or two...heehee, you anticipated such fun that you wet your pants.

7/4/06 8:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They eat 4x4,s for breakfast up there :) your shopping didnt happen to be anywhere near Team Valley did it?

Geordie Spaniard CR

7/4/06 10:34 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Cherry baby! I had to surf the whole website to find out that Fisehatak means Cheers in Arabic! In Algeria we say Bi sahatek which is near enough the same or Sante in French...Glad to make you smile!

Gigi, that's my kind of shopping! Always come back with something different, usually useless!

CR, actually it was Makro in Tees Valley (Stockton) not the one in Washington. I thought you were from Durham, CR not the Toon!

7/4/06 10:50 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I love a cold beer under the sun too!

8/4/06 1:56 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

this is so funny! It was fun going shopping with you Cream! I like your illo below, mosy excellent!

8/4/06 2:21 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Viking, And a beer under the sun (with good friends) is one of life's simplest but everlasting pleasures!
Life is about making every minute count.

Val, next time I will take you shopping for food at the local Tesco!

Wendy, I love cookbooks and have loads everywhere! Bookshops and Cookshops! I too, can spend hours just drooling!
Knives, pans, kitchen gadgets! I absolutely love! My latest is a knife sharpener. Most of our chefs have dumped their sharpening steels for it!

8/4/06 1:12 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I love kitchen gadgets, too. But I dare not let our knives get too sharp, my mum is a bit accident prone.

Put me in a fabric store or craft store. BLISS.

Do you speak Arabic, Cream?

8/4/06 3:15 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Gigi, knives are only dangerous if they're blunt, I can assure you!
I thought you'd like fabric stores. There is near us called the Fabric Centre, you'd think you've died and gone to Heaven!
Oui je takallam arabia!

8/4/06 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home