A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Manic Mondays...

This morning my new Intuos3 (Graphic and Art) tablet was delivered. I can't wait to start experimenting with it. You see, I have to illustrate the Blogstory's Chapter 13... And to be honest, I don't know where to start! It's been so long since the last time that I produced an illustration, I have a feeling that I'll botch this one up!

I went to work...with my tool box!
I put up a few more pictures up at Casa. The cleaner jokingly moaned that I was adding to her workload... More dusting!

Our restaurants are closed on Mondays. The wages are done every other Monday but since the Spanish getaway, I haven't had to do them! Yeah!!

Adam had a problem printing the summaries. I messed about with the computer, checked the leads, opening this, closed that...Then, as a last resort I switched the printer off and back on. Hey, presto, it began churning page after page of figures. All the stuff in quadruplicate!

I got a phone call that one of the other restaurants had sprung a leak!
I rushed over. Two minutes away.
Water was gushing out of a toilet cistern. I turned it off. The bar was totally flooded!
The floating ball that usually turns the water off when the cistern is full had split, filled with water and remained at the bottom.
A trip to the DIY store, 99p.
A simple job for which our contracted plumber would have charged at least £30 plus VAT! One of those little victories that make my day!

Lunch at a village pub. A jumbo cod, chips and mushy peas.
Many of the customers present are also our regulars. The usual question is: "Busman's holiday? Are you here on a spying mission?" All in good fun, really!

Tonight I went to see Firewall at the local cinema. Action movie with Harrison Ford. I think most of his films have been the same lately.

Finished The Pact by Jodi Picoult. I liked it as much as Salem Falls.

I thought I'd have an early night but made the mistake of taking my laptop to bed! The wireless lark is lethal!

Bonne Nuit, Buenas Noches, Kalli Nichta...

12 Comments:

Blogger iluvnyc said...

i've wanting to have intuos3 for the longest time... :)

4/4/06 4:00 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

you know once you start drawing you will be fine! sounds like you are back in the swing of things again!

4/4/06 7:38 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Sounds like you could have a side-career as a plumber (as if you needed any more careers...)

Be careful with that laptop in bed - I've been most upset with Jim taking his to bed... not conducive to a good night's um sleep... ;-)

4/4/06 8:49 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Actually, Iluvnyc, now that I've tried the A4 tablet, I find it too big! I really expected something the size of my laptop. I might have to swap it for an A5.

Wendy, don't be too sure about my illustration, I'm just a cowboy!
Can't wait for your chapter! I am sure you'll have us rolling, unless you turn the Blogstory into a thriller!
The mushy peas were just ok, really. Psychedelic green as opposed the ones you steep overnight!

Val, you too have too much confidence in me!

Caro, when I first opened 21 years ago, on top of all the cooking, I had to do everything, plumbing, heating, electricity...I owe it to my lucky stars that I'm still alive, even after a few electric shocks and drilling through water pipes...
Laptop in bed? No, probs. I snore and Karen has her power-surges (sweats) so it's "Chambre à part"...

4/4/06 12:37 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Aw shucks, look at all you've done recently. Cream, you're very Olympic :-)

Chapter 13? eek. It's getting closer to my chap. 18 and I don't have a clue where the plot is heading so I'm hiding eek eek eek eek

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

I know you will do a darn good illustration.

4/4/06 3:37 PM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Is there no end to your talents? I have a slight drain problem. Any chance you can fit me in between all your other jobs? xx

4/4/06 7:30 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Gigi, mine is Chapter 17! So I'll make sure Alma is lost somewhere in Alaska or Outer Mongolia at the end of it! Does that help you?

Cherrypie, Jack of all trades, c'est moi! And now, after reading your "window-cleaner" post your will be receiving my application very soon! XX

4/4/06 7:50 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Wow, you're a handy person to have around in a pinch.

4/4/06 10:44 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

All that was in one day?? Ouch!

5/4/06 5:12 AM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Laptop in bed is way too much connectivity for me. Much has I love technology there must be some limits.

5/4/06 11:40 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Yes,Miss Jay, just at a pinch!

Viking, there have been manicker Mondays!

DC, laptop in bed is just a good a book when you've just finished the last one! And it's better than an electric blanket.
But I get your point!

6/4/06 8:30 AM  
Blogger Caribbean Colors Belize said...

Mushy peas, are they really mushy?

7/4/06 12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home