A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

La culture...

"La culture, c'est comme de la confiture. Moins on en a, plus on l'étale"
Culture is like jam. The less we have, the more we spread it!

"Les vertus se perdent dans l'intérét, comme les fleuves se perdent dans la mer"
Virtues are lost in self-interest as rivers are lost in the sea.
Duc de La Rochefoucauld.

Ever since I did La Rochefoucauld at school I have come to understand the real meaning of these two maxims.

If one picked an everyday situation and analysed it thoroughly, one would find that one or both of these maxims will apply.
Simply think for a second of, let's say something that happened to you or something you may have come across just yesterday.
Anything whatsoever and you will see that if went right into the nitty-gritty you will be very surprised.

Like this post for example, if I really dissect the reason for it, then I could come up with the following elements:
-I may be bragging that I speak French. (Jam spreading)
-I may be showing off that I did La Rochefoucault at school. (Jam spreading)
-I may be wanting someone to say: "Bloody hell, he's deep!" (Self-interest)
...And so on and so forth.
Another example: if I help a blind person cross the road, what am I doing it for?
-For empathy (Passers-by)

-God is watching me (Self interest)
-For gratitude (The blind man)
-or even for my own satisfaction, a good deed for the day...This too is a bit of self-interest if we had to be really pedantic!

Or if I flatter someone. Am I doing it because I want to make them feel good or just them to like me? Either way, the end result will make ME feel good!

One can't win!
Them French philosophers, they were so bloody clever, weren't they!






.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thought-provoking philosophies, but be careful, that kind of self scrutiny can make you crazy - You've always struck me as more of a 'living in the moment' kind of guy.

19/4/06 3:39 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

C.D, it was just a daft minute of madness where I couldn't find my feet! I'm back to the Moment!

Wendy, both are right but I'm the one who's merely banging the wind!
Did South Africa's No.1 Lady Detective detect anything in my blog worth Emailing home about?

wv: he is Roadrunner!

19/4/06 8:01 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Yeah, but don't you go digging too far or you'll probably find that those smarty frogs were quoting some greek guys dead over a thousand years before they were born!

19/4/06 8:15 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

And the Greek will've been quoting the Egyptians, etc...I give up, DC!

...and you still frequent my blog! Wendy, You must be (Please select one of the following options:)
daft-crackers-mmmmad!

19/4/06 8:44 PM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Should I speak in French... Naaaah! Found French philosophy booooooring at school. But then I was more interrested in boys.. *teehee* Mais j'aime bien la culture c'est comme la confiture... Je pensais que c'étais une expression québécoise... LOL! Suis-je twitte! I must add: don't try to find a reason. Do it if you feel like it! Don't quesion every thing you do... or say... OMG... Beginning to sound like a French Philisopher.. I stop! :)

20/4/06 5:06 AM  
Blogger Shyha said...

Hey, but that's true. If someone's telling you that you are a man of self-interest it's hard to find barely any arguments to defend yourself! I was going through this with my girlfriend... Yes... try to be a good one...

20/4/06 8:16 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Princesse, moi je croyais que c'etait une expression inventee par ma mere!
Yes, if we dwell too long on stuff, life passes us by!

Shyha, you tell her you won't be able to look after No.2 if you can't look after No.1 first!

Wendy, you're a gem!

20/4/06 8:51 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Clever...but sooooo cynical.

20/4/06 3:42 PM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

It's Madness I say, madness. The snake consuming it's tail. Round and round we go searching for the unanswerable. Le plus ca change etc.
I applaud your inquiry. Might as well use that 3 lb. organ ensconced in the 'ol nutshell for something important.
I fear that Solomon was correct in assuming that there is nothing new under the sun. Vanity.

20/4/06 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home