A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Friday, April 14, 2006

I've got the bloody nerve...

Remember my famous trapped nerve?
Well, guess what!

It’s still bloody famous and still a pain in the bloody neck! It has NOT gone away! It has NOT withered away and died!
Two sets of expensive physiotherapists later and it remains a toothache in my shoulder!

Many customers, feeling sorry for me, gave me the names of a dozen massage artists who worked wonders on their trapped nerves, cold shoulders, cheeky chops, frozen shoulders, inflated egos, haemorrhoids (?) yes, all the pain in the arse stuff!
One name kept cropping up! Mr K! I could swear I’d heard the name before!
Of course, it’s that of one of our new recruits! Sixteen year old kitchen porter! The son!

K.Senior is Norwegian! And a trusted physiotherapist! Just a couple days earlier he was dining at one of our restaurants.

Tuesday morning I phone the health centre.
The soonest I can get an appointment: Thursday 20th!

Ten more days of agony!
Mr, K only holds surgeries on Mondays and Thursdays.
“I am dying!” I beg. “Tell him it’s Cream!” (I'll sack his bloody son!)
“I thought I’d recognised your voice!” the receptionist replies.
Honest, that’s what she said!
Can you imagine me making a dirty phone call?
“Oh, yes, that’s right, you’ve got a BIG ONE...but can I book a table for Saturday night?”

“I tell you what,” she says “Give me your mobile number and I’ll ask Mr K. to call you back!”
“I owe you a drink!”
I promise. Not that I know who I’m talking to!

Half an hour later, our Norse friend calls to say that he can see me at 6pm.
Magic or what!

At ten minutes past six, he knows exactly what is wrong with my neck, says that he will fix it and then apologises for wearing jeans!
“You see, I am on a few days’ holiday!”

I suddenly feel as good as if not better than bloody royalty!

You see, I’ve got the bloody nerve!


One week later and:



Update: Personal DNA chart


15 Comments:

Blogger carla said...

So then, it's still hurting? Mr. K. did or did not help you? Please say it's better:>

14/4/06 1:59 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Watch out for those Norwegians! Bloody savages...

14/4/06 4:49 AM  
Blogger Dan Flynn said...

C,

On Sunday I'm cooking for some friends and I remember ages ago wanting to try one of the fish recipes you posted. Monkfish and whisky, it is then. Hmm, hmm, hmmmmmm. Gonna start with thai mussels which is a a smidgin of green curry paste in the lightest of tomato stocks, which should wake up the tastebuds. They all like strong flavours so I think these two dishes should do the trick.

ps,

Glad your shoulder's better especially with the busy weekend ahead.

14/4/06 8:24 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Carla, touch wood, this Viking knows exactly what he's doing! It's definitely better after two treatments.

Viking, you should know how tough they can be!

Dan, it was DCver's Recipe on the Food Blog
Your starter sounds delicious!
I don't usually work in the restaurants! I just do the rounds waffling to our customers. But this weekend I am cooking at our Mediterranean restaurant for a couple of hours. Will definitely deserve a Mojito at the end!
Enjoy your Easter Sunday Dinner !

14/4/06 9:40 AM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Happy Easter, Cream. Glad your shoulder's on the mend x

14/4/06 10:59 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I blame the mosaics for your trapped nerve. Glad it's getting better.

14/4/06 11:58 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thanks, Cherry! Don't eat too many Cream Eggs!

Annie, guess what! When I was doing the mosaics, I completely forgot I had a trapped nerve!
Must be all the blogging!
Word Verif: Utchy!

14/4/06 12:29 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

My God you've got a nerve!
I had a nerve, it was a pain in the neck to be honest, I ended up having a brain scan and yes they found one... I was so happy my pain vanished,just like that...

14/4/06 3:33 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

When's he going to fix it? Remind him that his son has a JOB with you, and you're PAYING his son, and his son is your EMPLOYEE...hehehe...yes, you have some NERVE!

14/4/06 4:26 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Glad that norse guy knows is job, yet I would keep an eye out for any axes or swords around, you can never really trust those northern folks.

14/4/06 4:28 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Tat, I can't wait for it to vanish, just like that!

No need to resort to blackmail, Gigi! He's confident that he'll be able to untrap it! But, I'll keep my options open.

DC, he's gone over to Norway for Easter. Might come back with quite a bit of giants' cutlery!

14/4/06 5:30 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Wendy, you've got the cheek buying "Joue de lottes" for tomorrow! Should've been today, Good Friday! But, to be honest, not many customers stick to the fish rule, nowadays...
As for schmoozing our patrons, I've always done it, even when I cooked, I used to come out between courses. Le Charme du Sheikh, you might call it;) I just enjoy meeting and talking to people!

I'll get you an optical mouse for Xmas to soothe your thumb if it hasn't dropped off by then with all your blogging:o)

14/4/06 7:37 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I had a terrible neck problem last month for about a MONTH and saw many docs until one simply moved a muscle and I was back to normal. Ecstasy!

14/4/06 11:08 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Mary, I can't wait for the simple move that'll get rid of it! It WILL be ecstasy!

Wendy, I'm glad the dna test was different! I'd started worrying about my X and Y chromosomes!
Yes, regulars like to show off to their guests that they know Le Patron! It is hilarious but I've done it myself as a customer!

14/4/06 11:24 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Christine,
What the hell is a Benevolent Inventor? I have never invented anything!

15/4/06 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home