A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Grand National

Saturdays, I usually go and watch my local football team play but today it's playing away. Drew 1-1.
Busy day repairing rickety chairs until we've made enough money at Casa to replace the ones we inherited from the past restaurant.
Our Pizzeria got a fantastic write-up in the local paper. 5 out of 5 for food, service and value for money! Best marks ever! The young chefs are delighted.

A rival Italian restaurant that's been struggling a little since we opened Casa had an advert in the same paper: "Don't just settle for bits and pieces (meaning tapas) when you can have the whole piece!"
I thought it was a badly written advert for starters but worst of all it shows that the Iranian owner is jealous! Hah!

I am getting hooked on non-alcoholic Mojitos at lunch!
I went to Casa to test the food, well I was hungry at 1.30pm. The paella and albondigas were very tasty.
I gave Kevin my feedback and then, as today was Grand National and as he was going to the betting shop I gave him a fiver to place on a horse of his choice. He chickened out and asked one of the waitresses to pick one at random. It didn't win!
Our Pizzeria head-chef won £195, the lucky so-and-so!

I never gamble apart from this special occasion when the whole of Britain goes crackers.

Do you ever have the odd flutter?

10 Comments:

Blogger Cherrypie said...

We normally have an office sweepstake on the Grand National but nobody did it this year.

I did organise a mass office entry into the EuroMillions when there was the triple roll-over a couple of months back. We bought 57 tickets. We won 7.10

I'm resigned to the fact that I'm just one of those people who has to work hard 'cos I ain't gonna get it given to me any other way xx

8/4/06 11:03 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

The only betting I'm inclined to do is -- ta da! Horse racing! But I never do. Must go and see who won the Grand National now...

9/4/06 12:46 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

I've never been lucky with bets! So, that's why I don't gamble.

NumbersixValVerde won! Named after the owner's Portuguese villa. Lucky guy!

Wendy, how about an Algerian owning a Spanish Tapas Bar, eh? So funny but I love it!
Collect your winnings, I never settle for second place!

9/4/06 9:57 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Whoa, congrats on the write up, Cream :-)

hehe, so the Italian...I mean, Iranian is jealous? He should try a different strategy, man. He's offering something different, what's his problem?

Non-alcoholic mojitos? Welllll...in this house it has to be non-alcoholic everything. Especially tomorrow.

10/4/06 9:39 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thanks, Gigi!
Well, he's been a pain in the neck for a long time, trying to poach staff and so on!
Yes, Mawlid or Mouloud as we call it! Have a good one!

10/4/06 10:23 PM  
Blogger Caribbean Colors Belize said...

We're putting "Voted Best Coffee on Caye Caulker" in our advertisements. We voted ourselves, and everyone agreed with us.

11/4/06 1:52 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

I say:"If you don't blow your own trumpet, nobody'll blow it for you!"
Well done, Lee! Watch out for the advertising watch-rottweillers!

11/4/06 9:10 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Poach staff? Nasty. Happy Mouloud. Please pass on our wishes to your family in Algeria, especially everybody's favourite grandpa, Papa. His midnight watch has become a popular tale with me and family.

11/4/06 12:50 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Yes, the nasty thing!
Thanks very much!
That tale always makes me smile! The latest tale: I phoned Papa on Saturday. My sister was away so he was left to look after her two sons(21 and 19)
He said that he cooked a tagine with fresh peas, artichokes and lamb. He was proud to have prepared enough to last the week! I'm sure the kids will be praying for their mother's early return!

11/4/06 5:14 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

HAHAHA...I can't believe he still cooks. And for two OLD kids too!

12/4/06 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home