A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Cool, calm customer service....

An award should go to the Virgin Airlines gate Attendant in Sydney some months ago for being smart and funny, while making her point, when confronted with a passenger who probably deserved to fly as cargo.

A crowded Virgin flight was cancelled after Virgin's 767s had been withdrawn from service. A single attendant was re-booking a long line of inconvenienced travellers.

Suddenly an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk. He slapped his ticket down on the counter and said, "I HAVE to be on this flight and it HAS to be FIRST CLASS".

The attendant replied, "I'm sorry sir. I'll be happy to try to help you, but I've got to help these people first, and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."

The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear, "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?"

Without hesitating, the attendant smiled and grabbed her public address microphone: "Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please," She began, her voice heard clearly throughout the terminal.
"We have a passenger here at Gate 14 WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him find his identity, please come to Gate 14."

With the folks behind him in line laughing hysterically, the man glared at the Virgin attendant, gritted his teeth and said, "F... You!"

Without flinching, she smiled and said, "I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to get in line for that too!”

I love it!

13 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

An airline employee with a sense of humor? I don't believe it!

27/4/06 3:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

are you serious, i dont believe it... thats awesome!

27/4/06 4:47 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

wonderful!

27/4/06 5:00 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Viking, did I hit a raw nerve, there?

Ale, I thought it was you!

Tat, glad you liked it!

Wendy, I just got it this morning. I don't know whether it's true.
I am sure many people in the service industry would love to come out with witty retorts like this one if it wasn't for the dreaded sack!

27/4/06 5:51 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Sidney, huh? No wonder. Had it been in the States and the employee wouldn't dare: the jackass would sue the attendant! Aussies, like Europeans, can still afford a sense of humor!

27/4/06 5:59 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Well that was so funny I dropped my wine on the floor. Now I have to go and try and clear it up before it stains the floor boards. Pah!

27/4/06 6:43 PM  
Blogger Hayden said...

I love the story but am suspicious of it. Have heard it attributed to both United and American airlines. sigh. I hope somewhere, somehow, it really DID happen!

27/4/06 7:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutley superb, brilliant stuff!

CR

27/4/06 9:44 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Well, that's funny! I SO wish that has happened!

I have a friend who's a pilot and he's always diverting to throw people off who are drunk and disorderly. Recently, he chucked a yob off and (accidently on purpose) chucked him off WITHOUT his passport!!! Wonder how long it took him to get back!

27/4/06 10:14 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

DC, we do have a sense of humour, that's what keeps us hum..an!

Kitty, trouble multitasking, eh? Next time you put the glass down before you read my post!

CR, can't wait to visit your Caves, marra!

Eee, Rambler, that's nasty! The poor lad could've ended up in Guantanamo Bay!

28/4/06 1:20 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

haha that is great!!! i love it!

29/4/06 5:58 PM  
Blogger iluvnyc said...

LOL... i love it!!!!!

where did u hear the story? :)

29/4/06 10:53 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I wonder how true this is. Gee, she was good, oh boy, I'd like to make snappy comebacks like those. There was one airline attendant on Qantas, oh boy, he was good.

29/4/06 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home