A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Friday, February 03, 2006

A great loss...

Since smashing the first tile on December 21st, I have shed quite a bit of weight. Not that I was greatly overweight on December 2oth! It is just that I was getting to the point where the only exercise I was getting prior to that date and since dropping out of my twice-weekly squash session due to a sprained shoulder, had been climbing in and out of bed, lifting a dozen cupfuls of espresso a day and blogging...
So, I have shed weight without trying! Ha, ha, ha!

After a hearty breakfast, I did a bit of admin and then went to Casa del Mar to get on with smashing tiles for the mosaics... Until ten, eleven or twelve at night! Nothing crossed my lips apart from the occasional cup of tea or the odd sushi from next door's Japanese restaurant! I even introduced a couple of the builders to sushi by giving them a taste, which meant that I ended up with tiny scraps of raw fish for sustenance.
Call it madness or daft dieting but I can assure you, I never intended to starve myself. After all, I really love my food and drink! It just happened!

Just over a week ago, I began working in the kitchen and have been tasting all sorts of tapas to ensure that I was passing on the right recipes to our Kevin. You would think that I would've regained my losses!
Wrong!
Since 21st December I have only been home three times in the afternoon and managed 3 very brief siestas! Karen has forgotten how to cook! I have been surviving on cottage cheese on toast, yogurt and honey or the odd glass of wine.
So, through the law of averages, if I open another restaurant within the next twelve months, it is only logical that I will reach my target weight and be fit to play squash once again!
Oh, by the way, the other thing I've lost is my camera! I swear I don't know where the hell it is otherwise I would've posted more photos of Casa in full swing!

Does dieting work for you?

15 Comments:

Blogger Hayden said...

did you check the stock pot?

4/2/06 5:28 AM  
Blogger Shyha said...

Dieting doesn't work for me because my belly remains the same but I'm loosing other parts of myself ;)
The only thing that worked was my personal problems (you know - love problems etc ;)) but it's not a good way for loosing weight :D
I think my weight is ok, but the weight structure (muscles/fat factor) is wrong so I started excercising. Without great effect though. At least for now :)

4/2/06 9:54 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Hayden, I have checked everywhere. Must have dropped it somewhere. Good excuse to get a better one.

Shyha, that's funny! Keep have love problems and you'll become very skinny. Some people eat when they're unhappy.

4/2/06 3:14 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

I think I'm a pretty good weight. Most people tell me that when I turn sideways I disappear. I wouldn't mind losing another 10 pounds though. Mainly just to tone my stomach, though relatively flat, it's a bit squishy with fat and not muscle.

When I go overseas I drop weight like crazy. I lost so much when I was in France and I'm banking on losing a lot more when I go to West Africa.

4/2/06 4:56 PM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Buy a Cannon Powershot... Heh Heh! I think i am going to loose my HP soon..... ;o)

4/2/06 6:33 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Well, I'll tell you this, even skinny people [me] need exercise. So I sweep, dust, clean the bathroom, dance...darn, no wonder I'm small. And I walk. It's outdoorsy, fresh and fun.

I hope one of the builders didn't help himself to your camera. I hope you can start posting pics of your new place soon.

5/2/06 10:54 AM  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I can relate really well to this post. During my two months off every summer, as I'm a grade school teacher, my friends take it upon themselves to keep me, and my power tools, busy. There's hardly time to breath, let alone eat. My saying is similar to Homer Simpson's "Can't talk...eating", but mine goes something like "Can't eat...working". I usually lose about 10lbs. in the summer without trying.
All that caffein from the espressos has probably worked wonders on your metabolism. Keep that heart of yours racing and the weight will just melt away. (Disclaimer: I am not a certified physician. Anything I say or recommend is merely for entertainment purposes and should not be taken as sound medical advice)

5/2/06 2:16 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Juliana, I have a feeling that your African voluntary work is going to slim and trim you no end!

Princess, I have checked out Powershot, but there are so many models, I don't know which one you're on about!

Gigi, some people just look at food and get fat. My weight fluctuates depending on what I am doing... No, the camera disappeared days after the workmen had finished and they are very trustworthy. Must have dropped it somewhere!

Brian, I like that: "Can eat...working!" That's me! As long as I get a cuppa every now and then, I don't even think about food!


KG, monkey hanging country! That's where we are. Your Geordie friends will know exactly where it is if you don't.

Penny, I thought it was the other way round! Weighty in Winter, Slim in Summer... I had a scale but I stood on it and broke it:)

5/2/06 4:06 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Hope you find your camera soon! Can't wait to see pics of the place in full swing, and the food ,too! I need to get back on my walking program.That seems to be the only thing that really works for me(...and I REALLY need to start....maybe tomorrow....)

5/2/06 6:42 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Dieting is an herculean task if you live in Portugal, with all the delicious food handy everywhere plus great wine, great beer and plenty of harder liquor to wash it down. The only thing that works for me is to keep exercising.

5/2/06 11:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

its about excersise- ex: chopping up those tiles! :)

6/2/06 1:41 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

i had a funny feeling you might lose weight from all the work and stress of opening the restaurant! We can all tell how much work you have been doing. All of those incredible mosaics take an amazing amount of time and stamina!Along with all the myriad other things you are doing. Well good for you!!! you wanted to lose a little right? I remember a post called I'm Fat or something like that? Well that wasn't that long ago, right after Christmas. You didn't procrastinate on your losing the Christmas excess...

6/2/06 6:53 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

The next restaurant preparation will have to be part of the Cream's Mosaic & Shushi Keep-Fit Plan - you'll have masses of people PAYING you to allow them to break tiles for you and survive on sushi....

6/2/06 5:03 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Janet, I have come to the conclusion that my camera has disappeared for good and that I might follow Princess's advice and get a Cannon.

Wendy, if you can fit in those flowery pyjamas, you don't need to diet!

DC, you've got it right! Eat well but exercise! Have your cake and eat it!

Ale, that's right! I had a smashing time!

Val, the post was Fat man wanted...to go to the gym for me!
So far no one has answered the ad!

KG, I don't know when you last came over to my neck of the woods but I can assure you that since the marina was built we rival Yarm for good food and fun! I will email you a link.

Caro, what a great idea! The Mosaic diet!

6/2/06 6:03 PM  
Blogger WCTs said...

Skinney Cream....ha, The Mosaic Diet....a book is in order!

BTW Have you posted your menu on your blog? I would love to see it.

Cottage cheese, glass of wine....I can do this.

7/2/06 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home