A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Great Blog Story goes on...




















Last night I finished the illustration for Ana's Chapter of BlogStory.
I'd started it on Thursday night but the cheap tablet I was using, (while awaiting my Christmas present: Wacom Intuos3, hint, hint...) died on me for the second time running.
Staples, the computer shop is just across the car park from the bistro. I happen to be one of their best customers.
I have a pen-fetish...Stems from when I was a kid and a pen had to last a whole school year or you were dead if you lost it and then you had to write with mud instead!

So, the first time the cheapo-crappo tablet died on me, a month ago I took it back and they handed me a new one without so much as a whimper!


Yesterday, I really panicked! The BlogStory was going to fail because of me!

"So, how long was your BlogStory, Vit?"
"Two bloody chapters... It died a death when that sour Cream curdled under the pressure and he couldn't deliver! I'll never ask him to come out and play with us ever again!"

So at 8.15 am I was at Staples with the stupid tablet and my laptop! It's handy they open 8 till 8.
My favourite shop assistant was there. He is great because he warns me about the Winter sales in September and the Summer ones in January. Better forewarned than three-warned!

I give him a lunch voucher every now and then. We exchange chips... Potato for silicon!
"What now, then?"
"It's that stupid tablet again!"
He tried it on my laptop and then on another laptop!

"This tablet, it is defunct! 'E's passed on! This
parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! "

So he gave me a new one! No probs!

Last night, I went home with a curry and a bottle of
Gigi's Red-Wine Tea after a noisy evening feeding and wining hungry Christmas partygoers.

I started on the illustration at around 11.30. I woke up in my chair at around 2 am.
The curry was gone. The wine was dry. The laptop was still switched on. The finished illustration was on its way to Portugal.

"I haven't dreamt! Yes! I DID IT!"

I looked at the picture and went up to bed!

This morning I received an email from Vit, "darling! wonderful, thank you!"

Back in the good books...and the BlogStory goes on...

19 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for the blast from the past from Monty Python. How I howled the first time I saw that sketch! ANd I love your illustration.

10/12/05 4:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cool- you know "potatoes for sillicone" could be a slogan for the Potatoe growers assosiation- like bring in your fake boobs and we'll give you potatoes so you can grow your own curves !

10/12/05 7:12 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Hurray! Huummm... that bag has been here! Great illustration, btw.

ale: you're terrible, in a delicious way!

10/12/05 7:36 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Andrea, the Parrot sketch was voted one of the funniest ever last year.

Ale, I have a feeling you need some carbohydrates...You have started to hallucinate!)))Very funny!

DC, I thought you'd notice that label!
I was going to draw Belem but that may be for another chapter. Thanks.

10/12/05 8:30 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Sorry, Isis, you've lost me...
If you are talking about Ana's blog, that's Portuguese...
Thanks for visiting!

10/12/05 8:35 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

...glad everything worked out...and the result is a really Great illo!

10/12/05 10:28 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I thought it was taking a little longer than expected... Looks good though.

I have a thing for pens too. My friends think I'm crazy, spending $4 for a pen that only lasts me a week. I would gladly pay twice that!

11/12/05 1:09 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Janet, I am glad it worked out in the end. And it's the result that counts. It's ok.

Viking, thanks.
I often buy pens but I also get samples from companies that want me to buy customised ones.
They don't last very long because staff borrow them and never return them.

11/12/05 1:28 AM  
Blogger carla said...

This is really wonderful! I have stopped by to look at the blogstory site, but I've only had time to look at Julie's pic and hope for yours..now here it is! I need to go and actually read the chapters. I'd like a nice new tablet too...hope you get one soon:>

11/12/05 2:02 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

I love the illustration, very rich colour and it entices me to read the story when I get a chance. Why does this thing keep crapping out on you? But good that they replaced it twice, they are smart to value you. Sounds like a nice shop too.

11/12/05 2:45 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Carla, I am old-fashioned and I prefer to read hard copy so I always copy and paste special onto a Word document, reorganise the fonts and then read at my leisure.
Xmas might bring you a tablet, you never know:)

Val, once I get my new tablet, Evie has her name on the one I've got because she loves drawing.
Staples is a big chain in the UK and that's the policy. Thank my stars.
The Blogstory is getting quite interesting...Anything is possible...

11/12/05 9:45 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Cream you have done an excellent illustration for the blogstory - I admire you for volunteering in the first place - and you have done a great job of it - now tell me, were you adding in some of your extra pinches of spice in your account above???

11/12/05 2:35 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Eee, the cheekm Caro! Moi, adding spice? Only in food!
Maybe a bit of fun but it is all true, I really mean it!

As for volunteering, I can't even remember! Must've been the red wine tea!

11/12/05 3:09 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Ah, say bawhn, say treh treh bawhn, very, very good, Cream.

My worse fear is a constipated server when I have to read the chapter before mine, then email Vit my chapter.

I love all the drama to get your drawing done. And the drama of the blogstory, great eh?

12/12/05 12:18 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Gigi, I am sure you'll do a fantastic job!
I really nearly got not constipation but the other thing when I got Vit's email saying that it was my turn...
And the stupid tablet made it worse! I had nightmares that night!
Mercy bocoop poor lay fellerseetashions!

12/12/05 6:44 PM  
Blogger hobbes said...

love the illustration cream!

12/12/05 11:27 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thank you, Hobbes!

12/12/05 11:57 PM  
Blogger Caribbean Colors Belize said...

The illustration looks great. I wish I had time to participate, but alas its high season again (thank goodness - I was getting tired of being broke)

15/12/05 6:34 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thanks Lee!
Just think about the low season and a well earned rest!

15/12/05 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home