A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Sushi Days....




Sunday, went to a Japanese restaurant in Newcastle and had a Teppanyaki lunch.

You are handed an apron. Feels like kindergarten where the teacher readies you for a painting session!
The chef cooks in front of you, throws eggs about and catches them in his paper hat. He also invites the customers to partake in this circus. I always refuse! I am not ending up with egg on my face.
I keep thinking: “Stop clowning around, you idiot and just get on the cooking! I need feeding!”

The salmon slices were arranged so neatly on the griddle, I was sure the fish they came from was watching from salmon heaven and thinking: “I didn’t know I was so thin! No wonder I died young!”

The prawns danced the quick step on the griddle, lay in garlic butter and soya for a couple of minutes before being adeptly placed on my square plate.
The juggler’s eggs joined the rice and mingled to produce a delicious egg-fried-rice!
Lunch was accompanied with Jasmine tea.

Monday, after the watercolour class I felt peckish and guess where I ended up! Yes another Japanese restaurant but this time for a Sushi lunch!
I love Sushi. Not for the trend value but just for the freshness of the ingredients. Pickled ginger, wasabi, soya sauce…Mmmmm!

I think I’m turning Japanese, I’m turning Japanese, I really think so! (Remember the song?)

I often go through phases like this one… Do you?

11 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Phases with food? I am just greedy. Food is food is food :-D

An old favourite is thin, crisp plantain chips.

Nothing, not even potato chips can beat plantain chips.

8/11/05 3:29 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Lee, I think it had a lot to do with stuff like that! GG and I are made of(I think) and like the same stuff so welcome!

GG, Never had plantain chips. I am sure one can get them in big cities here. I will give them a try.

8/11/05 8:58 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I love sushi too - I once spent a week on a yoga course, lots of breathing exercises, I came home with amazingly clear nostrils. Then I had some wasabi - yeek! I love it but that day it blew my head off!

8/11/05 12:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sushi rocks!

i go through stages... well actually A stage. i went to italya and turned Italian... and never turned back-

what's even more scary is that after a whole year of eating mediterranean food, i came back home and if i aberated from eating italian food my stomach would hurt!! so i just continued on with the mediterranean way of eating...

8/11/05 2:10 PM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

i love the way you right about food, it is like a painting with words and it makes me hungry! My husband eats tacos every day. Tortillas are a good sub for bread and you can turn almost anything into a taco.

8/11/05 4:36 PM  
Blogger Shyha said...

I have such phases. Last holidays were under the sign of chinese fast-food :)

8/11/05 4:44 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Sushi is a winner with everyone, isn't it?
Too much wasabi and it gets up your nose! That's what the French say when they get angry: "La moutarde me monte au nez!"
Ale, I grew with Med food. Med food more than any other food tastes even better with sun, good wine and friends.

Val, thanks again about the food writing. I shall try to make even tastier next time... You'll be drooling all over your keyboard.

I love food, any food as long as it is cooked properly and I will try anything once! So far, I don't think I have turned my nose at anything!

8/11/05 6:27 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Manuela, must be the Italian in you!
La cucina italiana mi piace molto!
I love a good Bolognese!

8/11/05 8:03 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Pennylane, if you really like food, you'll love sushi!

9/11/05 12:53 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I remember that song! (Does that "age" me? :) We took my 13 year old son out for his birthday the other day and he chose sushi ... as usual. This boy won't eat roast beef or chicken or many other mainstream western foods, but loves anything Asian: Japanese, Chinese, Indian. We've raised him well. :) I'll eat anything, but have a particular passion for Mediterranean fare also.

10/11/05 5:05 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Andrea, that is the way! Teach them while they're still young because when they've grown up it is too late!
I love kids who eat the same thing as their parents when they come to the restaurants.

10/11/05 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home