A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Lazy Sunday Afternoon...












I asked Karen what she wanted to do. Stay in and cook and go out Sunday night or Go out for lunch and then stay in later.
PS :"I'm not cooking if we stay in!"
"We go out!" was the answer.


We get to the main road.
"North or South!"
"South!"
The conversation is nil because we are listening to BBC Radio 4's The Food Programme.
Instead of South, I head West towards Teesdale and within half an hour we arrive to Barnard Castle, a bustling old market town. It is by now 1.30 and we are both a bit peckish. I drive right through the town and head for the A66 leading to the Lake District. But instead of following it, I veer South towards a little village called Reeth, a few miles from Richmond (North Yorkshire).
We drove this tiny, winding road a few months ago. It had been very misty and the scenary was non-existent. But I remember this pub-hotel situated just outside Reeth in a beautiful valley.
We had had a meal there the last time we passed and knew that it would be very busy.
The car park is pretty full when we arrive. I ask the barmaid if she had a free table for lunch.
She says that all we can have is a baguette as we have not booked. (?)
A regular interjected:"They are lovely!"
I am just about to walk out and drive on to find my "Roast Beef Dinner" when Karen says :"We're here, might as well stop!" Fantastic logic!
We order a drink. I go back to the car for the Mail on Sunday. We sit and read and attempt the giant crossword as we eagerly await our Chicken BLT!
It arrives with chips and salad. (French fries) It is ok.
I order a sticky toffee pudding. Karen passes on the dessert. She only wants half of mine. Two Lattés and off we go on our way back home.
A couple of miles later I stop and take the above photo. Can you see me standing next to the car? Yes, my shadow... Just to prove that I took it.

When we get back home, Karen says: "You know, the BLT I have on Thursday with my friends after Weightwatchers is better than the one we had today!"
Now she tells me! Posted by Picasa

15 Comments:

Blogger Hayden said...

absolutely gorgeous photo.

21/11/05 3:01 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Lovely, loverly.

I've always been fascinated by English countryside. Especially after The Secret Garden.

I took a 'journey' yesterday too...but in a different way.

21/11/05 4:44 PM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

wow again, absolutely glorious photo and a sweet weekend ride. It's funny how food affects the mood, right?

21/11/05 5:55 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Gorgeous! Your Sunday sojourn reminds me of my weekends in the West Country once upon a time. Different scenery, similar sorts of experiences. Are you north of York? (Can I ask that question?)

21/11/05 7:02 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Thank you all!
The English countryside lends itself to photos like this. Which ever direction we head for, within around ten minutes we experience this kind of panorama.
We are blessed with very gorgeous views but if you look around you, I am sure that you will find just as good if not better!

21/11/05 7:03 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Yes, Andrea. About one hour north.
God's Country!

21/11/05 7:05 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I've been to York. Loved it, but never managed to see the Dales, which I know I'd like even more. Next time it'll be by car, I hope.

21/11/05 8:33 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Andrea, if you like York, you'll love the Lake District and the little towns around it! Grasmere, Windermere, Keswick, etc...

21/11/05 10:52 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I'm with them: Gorgeous photo. So many colors! Everywhere!

22/11/05 6:03 AM  
Blogger iluvnyc said...

those are BEAUTIFUL pictures... are you a photographer?

22/11/05 7:10 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

WW, These are Northern England's Autumn colours. I love them!

No, Iluvnyc! I am not a photographer. I just snap what looks good! Piece of cake!

Penny, life is definitely about sharing! I am really glad the photos came out OK!

22/11/05 8:55 AM  
Blogger LDahl said...

I'd kill for a soggy BLT and an afternoon of seeing what you saw!!
Well, that is just a saying, but to have seen what you have ... *sniff*! God the pictures are so beautiful!!!!

22/11/05 6:59 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Idahl,
It was a good afternoon! And I am so pleased the pictures came out ok.
I will have to wait a long time to get the same opportunity but I am patient.

22/11/05 8:39 PM  
Blogger Caribbean Colors Belize said...

I was trying to guess what the shadow was, at first I thought, camel, then dinosaur, then I though anteater, but remembered that you weren't in Africa. Now I see it, its like one of those trick pictures, Cream standing at the BACK of the car.
Then English countryside pics are lovely and look like they came from a fairy tale book.

23/11/05 12:55 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Hi, Lee. Well this shows you that I am only an amateur! I am glad you like the pictures, though!

23/11/05 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home