A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Free Advertising...


I object to carrying advertising on my clothes unless the garment has been given to me graciously by the advertiser.


These days, kids young and not so young prance around wearing stuff which carries the manufacturer’s logo to show off that they can afford designer gear.

Because as we all know, these designer clothes and shoes are twice as expensive as those without logos!
I keep telling our Adam that they are virtually exactly the same when I show him a pair of trainers bought at a Spanish market for a tenner!
He ignores me and carries on being a billboard to some rich designer who owns a penthouse in NY, a villa in Miami and a yacht in St. Tropez…

Am I being a teeny weeny jealous!
Fcuk You! The French Connection (UK) are making a bomb out of a twisted swear word! Lucky Fcukers… And so are Nike, Adidas, CK, and the bloody rest!

I have come to the decision that from now on, I will demand a discount if I have to advertise designer products.

T-shirt £10
Jeans tag £5
Underpants tag £1
Shoes £3
Sports bag £10

Am I being unfair?

11 Comments:

Blogger valerie walsh said...

You made me smile, you are absolutely right and in my mind I pictured you at Prada or Gucci getting ready to pay but asking for a discount for wearing their brand. Kids are always trying to keep up and be cool,it is so hard because some of the cool stuff is butt ugly but it is not about that. It's about having and wanting! I remember how thrilled I was when I sold enough work that I could sometimes afford nice things. I loved that feeling...

6/11/05 8:01 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

My mother had the same bee in her bonnet (its not all that recent as a phenomenom, its just got worse and worse), but she persuaded me that the very best designers don't need to advertise this way...
But she didn't buy me any of those things either...

6/11/05 11:18 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Glad I made you smile! You never know, one day I might do what I've threatened!
When I see young people wearing designer logos, I smile and thank heavens, I am older!

6/11/05 11:18 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Caroline, I have always been more into "Contents rather than container".
As they say in French: "L'habit ne fait pas le moine!"

7/11/05 12:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

they're abandoning the strategy because the research shows that trends are against brand advertising on clothes. more companies are abandoning it.

7/11/05 2:27 AM  
Blogger December's Starlet said...

Talk abt walking advertising. How come they dun pay me when I wear my adidas huh?? NOT FAIR.

7/11/05 3:12 AM  
Blogger Shyha said...

I'm sure (unfortunately) that they would say sth like that: "we are making you a favor that you can buy shoes with such cool logo"... :|

7/11/05 6:25 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Ale, I am sure that their researchers will come up with subtle ideas to get the kids to promote their products..
Shyha, absolutely! Their strategy is that they are doing us a favour by letting us wear their expensive clothes plastered with stupid logos!

7/11/05 9:02 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Starlet, it is like war out there! And war is never fair!

7/11/05 9:03 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I'm always saying, "I am NOT going to pay for someone's product then advertise FREE for them, no wayyyy."

So you can imagine how I grinned with glee when I read this!!!

8/11/05 3:19 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

GG, I thought you'd like it!

8/11/05 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home