A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Anyone for Golf?



Last Monday afternoon.


I had always thought that golf is an old man's (or woman's) pastime until our 11 year-neighbour headed across the road with his father for a round. He doesn't have very far to go and his mother can keep an eye from a first floor window. She shout for them when dinner is ready.

I played once on this course with one of the chefs. He whopped me. I decided never to play with him or anybody else again.

But, I am getting to like the sport! Yes, it is a sport, (I am convinced now, it is not just a pastime! Well, that's what golfers say.)

I don't play at home but whenever I go to Spain, I play with my 68 year-old next door neighbour and his usual golf partner from across the road. He's given me videos and books. They're gathering dust somewhere. How can one learn golf without being out there, treading the greens?

Mike and Larry play every Thursday.

10am. The clubs go into the boot. I hire mine from the club. Clubs from the club. (Weird language, English!) But I've decided that once I start spending more time there (Yes, please!) I will definitely invest in a set.

The course is only a nine-holer. So we always have a couple of rounds which takes us till 1pm when we sit down for lunch and a couple of ice cold pints of lager.

After lunch the wrist is much looser due to the liquid refreshment. Unfortunately that's when we begin losing balls over the fence and in the frog ponds. Another couple of rounds by which time, I am really desperately flagging for my siesta.

4pm. I have learnt how to hit one out of ten straight shots. I haven't yet made par. Nearly killed a birdie, mind you!
We head back and promise each other to have another game the following Thursday before I head back home.

Whenever I am there I promise myself to join our local golf club but, once back home, work takes over and golf is put on the back burner, literally.


How is your swing, then?



....
Posted by Picasa

10 Comments:

Blogger valerie walsh said...

i think that any sport that involes being in nature, walking, riding around in a sweet little car and wearing cute outfits is totally cool! Do i sound like a teenager? I hope so

25/11/05 12:09 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Yes, Val you sound like a teenager! But what's wrong with that?
Dauphine, golf takes a long time to play and we must make time! It is more about talking and laughing than just swinging clubs, isn't it?

Well, Isis, this morning that green is now white...with snow!

25/11/05 8:35 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

My nephews, 6 and 8 love golf 'cause their daddy loves it.

I love it 'cause my nephews love it, and I'm curious to play. One day, I just might. I was rather good at cricket...

How's the pain with that trapped nerve?

25/11/05 1:05 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Penny, I only go for the beer! Kidding! It is relaxing if you don't take too seriously!

GG, the nerve is still trapped. It is literally a "pain in the neck"!
If you are good at cricket, you'll be very good at golf.
Go for it! I'm sure your nephews will show up, but what the hell!

25/11/05 1:35 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I read about folks talking about ostheo-something...they say they are really good and are able to help. Maybe one can help you wtth your neck.

I'll have to wait til I get to Florida for the golf. If my nephews show me up I'll sulk. Then they'll feel sorry for me haha.

25/11/05 5:40 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

These ostheo-psychopaths are mad, GG! They think people are made of rubber. They bend, squeeze, stretch and bounce off them the floor as if they were rubber balls.
Maria is one of them but she's ok!
I have another session on Monday.
So, Florida it will be for the golf! You know what kids are like, whatever happens you'll have a great time with them!

25/11/05 6:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

poor karen, she'll never see you again!... well unless she picks up golf as a hobby.. i mean... sport

26/11/05 12:59 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Ale, I'll just have to drag her along with me and whop her as many times as possible before she learns how to play!

26/11/05 4:34 PM  
Blogger iluvnyc said...

i don't think i want to even find out :D 'cuz i tried to play on the mini golf, and i was really terrible at it :D

27/11/05 1:25 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Iluvnyc, get yourself out on a golf course on a beautiful day, with good people you know! You will get to love the whole thing. It's not about being good! It's about trying to be good!

27/11/05 1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home