A series of anecdotes with or without any connection to the running of a restaurant.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Two taglines with chips, please...


"Actually, sir it is TAGINE pronounced: Ta Jean... You see, it's like Hygiene...Ta...Jean..."
-What is it then?
-It is a Terracotta dish in which food is cooked slowly over charcoal.

-So you cook on charcoal in here?
-No, sir we use a gas cooker but we serve the tagines in dishes we call tagines.
-Ah! Can we have two of them with chips, then?
-We have Chicken, Lamb or Fish tagines, sir. Which one would you prefer?
-You mean you don't do T-Bone tagine?

Drrrrr....

Here is a recipe for a fish tagine, tried and tested many times...

Fish Tagine

Ingredients:
1lb of Cod, Mullet, Sea bass, Monkfish, Prawns...any combination but no oily fish)
4tbsp olive oil
1 onion
1tsp paprika
Juice of one lemon. Keep the zest.
1tbsp Cumin and Coriander, tomato puree and chopped coriander
Saffron or Turmeric
2 cloves of garlic
2 skinless red peppers
1 fresh fennel
3 carrots
A quarter lb potatoes

Method:
Marinate the fish cut into 1" chunks overnight or for a couple of hours in olive oil, lemon juice, fresh coriander, saffron or turmeric, garlic and cumin.

Finely chop the onion. Soften it in olive oil. Add some sliced fresh fennel, 2 diced skinless sweet peppers, chopped garlic, pinch of saffron, pinch of cumin, 1tbsp chopped coriander, 1tsp of blanched lemon zest or pickled lemon, 1tbsp tomato puree, a tsp of paprika, 2 potatoes cut into wedges, 2 carrots cut into chunks.

Cover with water, add a fish stock cube and simmer until potatoes are nearly ready.
Add the fish to the Tagine and poach until cooked (5min).
Top with chopped coriander and a lemon wedge.
This tagine may be served with couscous or warm crusty bread.

Add a little chilli (Harissa) if you wish.

Enjoy!


9 Comments:

Blogger Caribbean Colors Belize said...

My mouth started to water when I read your recipe.
I'm hungry.
I've enjoyed reading your blog.
Now its time to cook!
--Lee

13/9/05 12:10 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Will you be serving it in your Belizean Cafe Bar?
Your artwork is amazing! The colours are so fresh!
Keep up the good work!

13/9/05 12:35 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Mmm, I love fish, I will try this.

[My mum was asking me what kind of food do Algerians cook.]

13/9/05 1:07 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Algerian cooking is a massive mix of Arabic, Turkish, African, Spanish, Italian and French.

Couscous is the National dish. Served with a stew of lamb and vegetables in a spicy sauce. Variations include fish, chicken and vegetarian.
We eat lots of green peppers, pasta as well as vegetables in sauces.
Salads and fruit.
Sweets like baklava tend to be too sweet for Western palates.
I will post more recipes in the future.

13/9/05 5:20 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

What is that "too sweet for western palates" talk?! I love baklava. Have you ever tried typical Portuguese sweets? The ones the nuns and monks used to do?
They are mostly egg yolk and sugar, and they are yummy! Same goes for some of Spain's best sweets. The problem begins with anglo-saxons' palates I guess...

13/9/05 8:43 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Dcver, you must be the exception to the rule! I love Baklava, too. But not many of my British acquaintances do, up North.
No, I have never tried Portuguese sweet. They must be blessed if nuns and monks make them.
Going to Spain next. Will look for these sweets. Not that I have a sweet tooth. I am more into a chunk of Cathedral City!

13/9/05 11:06 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Well, I am 100% Portuguese, so it is only natural I like sweets. Nowadays you don't find many monks and nuns cooking, but for centuries they developed the recipes for a huge number of desserts inside their monasteries, some of them are simply a delight, most of them in fact. Cathedral City? Santiago?

13/9/05 11:15 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

Cathedral City is a fantastic Cheddar cheese... And a nice glass of Port...
Food, glorious food!
I went to some amazing smokey bars in Porto with hams hanging from the ceiling...Vinho Verde and sardines.
Mmmmmm!

14/9/05 12:53 AM  
Blogger DCveR said...

I pass... along with the wines, one thing you'll have a hard time is to get a Portuguese to eat foreign cheese. Though I like some French, some Swiss and some Italian cheese, I still prefer one of the several kinds of Portuguese cheese. And when it comes to other kinds of cheese, I try them, but none tastes as good, to me that is.

14/9/05 1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home